View topic - Ms. Archer's difficulty ratings

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: portage/bug shirt
PostPosted: January 18th, 2004, 11:57 am 

Hi Larry,

Remember if you put this as a note in your book, that I am giving you second hand information that I can't confirm. The person who told me about the portage may be mixed up or not. From what the person said, and from what I know of the lay of the land there, I think the portage is on the river left shore. If you do get on the Fond du Lac this summer, please check this out, and let me know. It would be much appreciated. You have a mission!

The campsite he mentioned that is 10 km downstream (instead of 12 km from the last prime one I list) is on RR and just around a small point. He says you have to climb up about 10 feet, but that the spot is in a nice flat of lowbush cranberries. Now, whether you think this is a "prime" campsite is totally subjective. If I checked it out and then added it in the next edition I would point out you have to scramble up the bank about 3 m. For the sake of a couple km some people would carry on to the next camping spot, just based on that description. It's great to be able to give more choices of camps along the river, so I totally appreciate this kind of help.

About the bug shirt. I've always had one from that company, and I think it's the best model I've seen out there. It can double as a sunshirt when it's really hot and sunny and you don't want to be wearing much and yet you don't want to burn to a crisp! It is also much more durable compared to other "all net" ones.

Cheers, Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2004, 5:30 pm 

Hi Laural

I did the Foster River last year, the book was a great help especially at the start when campsites were limited ie. should we camp or go on a little further, with the book we new that a little further could have ment another 14km or so to the next campsite that was not in a swamp.

A point which might make you laugh! Being from, Australia and my friend from England, on a couple of the campsites you mention campsites near (A jack pine bench) we kept looking and looking but no bench. We were looking for a bench made out of jack pine that you could sit on. Eventually we got it Ha Ha.