View topic - Clearwater River

It is currently April 1st, 2020, 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Clearwater River
PostPosted: March 16th, 2004, 6:45 pm 
is it necessary to fly in to the Clearwater if I wanted to a approx. 10 day trip?

what are differences between the Clearwater and the Porcupine?

thanks

brandon_schott@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2004, 10:08 am 

If you are talking about the Clearwater River in Northern Saskatchewan then I have all the links and info you need on my website.
We were going to do this river this year but are racing on the Yukon instead so will do the Clearwater next year.Link to Clearwater River info on My Site

As far as the Porcupine River goes, I am assuming that you are not talking about the one (in Yukon) that flows north out of the Ogilvie Mountains towards the Mackenzie Delta then swings west flowing out of the Yukon Territory into Alaska to join up with the Yukon River.

I imagine you are refering to the very remote Northern Saskatchewan river that flows south from Selwyn Lake(NWT) to Black Lake(Sask) 197km. Apparently it's quite a challenging river. You fly in and drive out on a gravel road.

The Clearwater can be accessed by a long drive on hwy155 to hwy955 and the top part of the river could be done with just vehicles but iy you want to do the most scenic part you will either have to paddle all the way to Ft.McMurray or fly out from below Whitemud falls.

All the info you need on both these rivers is in Laurel Archer's Northern Saskatchewan Canoe Trips, A Guide to Fifteen Wilderness Rivers.

"It's all part of the adventure"

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2004, 11:42 am 

Hi Buck,

The Porcupine is more difficult logistically to access it, unless you have unlimited funds to fly, and in terms of whitewater skills required. Similar to the Clearwater, you will have to run some rapids or do some fancy lining or bushwhacking if you decide not to paddle some stretches, but on the Porcupine, the portage/avoidance moves you must make are more challenging than those of the Clearwater. The portages are not good trails and are in difficult terrain and sometimes non-existent. There are a few rapids that you will need to run on the fly with a loaded canoe, or you will find yourself in dangerous lining and wading situations and/or bushwhacking or walking on steep shores on a slope. And, on the Porcupine you will most likely be completely on your own, whereas the Clearwater is much more well travelled. The Porcupine is shorter in kms, and actually has less volume on average based on the last 25 years data, but is generally just that tad more challenging in all aspects.

So, I do not reccomend the Porcupine it for intermediate paddlers without a skillful guide. Intermediate paddlers could do the Clearwater on their own more safely, though they would do lots of portaging. Advanced and expert paddlers will enjoy the both the river on their own, and still find it challenging.

It is an amazing river, and I love it. Just note that it is one of the more difficult in northern SK, in my experience.