View topic - Waterfound River

It is currently April 4th, 2020, 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waterfound River
PostPosted: April 20th, 2004, 8:30 am 
I've got a couple questions that need answers from people that have paddled this river in the past.
First, we've paddled in bear country all our paddling days. We have always used Duluth packs as food packs, and hung them properly so the bears don't get them. It also keeps the mice out too, red squirrels can be another problem however! My question is what do you do here? Are there trees large enough to serve as bear trees at most campsites or do you use blue barrels and store the food away from camp? Paddling in Woodland Caribou Park last summer, we found bear trees at a premium. We weren't too concerned about the bears, but the other critters can sure be pesky.
We are not adverse to either method, just looking for input.
Next a fishing question. We are experienced walleye fishermen, so we are not worried about catching these at all. I have fished trout in the western u.s. too. I was curious what size spinner do you use for the grayling?

Thanks in advance
Jerry

Post subject: Waterfound
PostPosted: April 20th, 2004, 12:22 pm 
I paddled the Waterfound last year and a bear got into our Duluth pack. The trees are not large enough to hang food from. We have since bought the 60L barrels and will use them the next time we go to N. Sask.

As for spinners, use something small like 1/16 oz as grayling have small mouths. Color is black. Fish the rapids, you can almost get a strike with every cast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2004, 2:46 pm 

Thanks Jim, I thought that might have been the case.

Jerry