View topic - How long to canoe Clearwater?

It is currently April 4th, 2020, 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 4th, 2004, 6:52 pm 

We are planning a trip to Clearwater River in northern Saskatchewan, driving to either Warner Rapids or to Lloyd Lake to start. We are going for 10 or 11 days and finish our trip by doing the Methye portage and canoing back to Lac La Loche to pick up our vehicles. From what I have read on the subject, Warner Rapids to Methye to La Loche will only take around 5 or 6 days. Does anyone know how long it might take if we put in at Lloyd Lake travelling past the Virgin River (really want to fish there), to Methye and La Loche? We don't mess around much so our progress should be quick. Is it safe to say the Methye Portage will take 2 days to cross?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 3:32 pm 

Clearwater River
Visit my site where I have complied most of the info you will need other than buying Laurel Archer's book 15 Rivers which everyone should have a copy of anyways.
We were going to do the Clearwater from Lloyd Lake this year but are doing the Yukon instead. I know of several groups who will be on the river at the end of June to July.
I will help anyway I can. I've suggested to my wife that we should set up an open house for Clearwater Paddlers. Not, going well so far but I'm working on her. :wink:
Just imagine............. while your laundry is in the wash and the BBQ is going................. soaking those paddle muscles.

"It's all part of the adventure"

Last edited by D.R.Zandee on May 6th, 2004, 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 3:42 pm 

Better be careful of your offers, remember, you posted pictures of your stash....er...I mean rec room :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 3:59 pm 

Gail R wrote:
Better be careful of your offers, remember, you posted pictures of your stash....er...I mean rec room :lol:

:doh: Your right and I just bottled 30 bottles of Chianti and 5 cases of Corona and 5 cases of Redwood Ale not to mention the Amber Ale that's on and the Strawberry White Zinfandel too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 7:43 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Fort McMurray is going to become "Canoeing Capital of Canada" with this level of hospitality! :D

When's breakfast?

You did get permission from the Mrs. first, right, Doc? :tsk:

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 8:46 pm 

Barbara wrote:
When's breakfast?

When ever you like.

Quote:
You did get permission from the Mrs. first, right, Doc? :tsk:

:oops: :doh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 10:06 pm 

We did Lloyd Lake to Methye Portage in 11 days. Lloyd Lake to Virgin River in four days but we really only paddled for 2 hrs on the first day and the fourth day was a half day. I would be sure of yourself in the First Gorge, there are several portage trials and the long portage on the ridge is good (river right), except we didn't take it. We portaged the Class 4 at the top, lined, ran, and walked various bits of the rest, lots of current, lots of rocks, not too many places to properly plant a stroke.
We ran everything Class 3 or lower (based on Ric Driediger's description). We were two canoes, our kids were 8 and 9.5 at the time. I imagine you could shave a couple of days off our time if you had to, although mosty people take longer on this fascinating river.
I would be prepared to be disappointed with the Methye Portage. The Clearwater end has extensive ATV trails, a lot of junk, and even more bugs. We intended to poke around and go up the trail a few kilometers out of historical interest, but quickly lost the spirit of romance and thrill of stepping in the footsteps of Mackenzie etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2004, 10:20 am 

We're leaving on Monday for the Clearwater, but won't be on the water until Thursday.

The Clearwater presents some logistical challenges if you're cheap like we are, so we're driving to Buffalo Narrows and dropping off our canoe and some of our gear. Then we're driving to Ft. McMurray to get a flight on a Cessna to Buffalo Narrows. We're paddling north via Churchill, Frobischer and Turnor lakes to Wasekamio lake. Then we're bushcrashing north to the Clearwater upstream of Warner Rapids. I expect there to be 3 "bogwalks" of around 1.5-2 km. We'll end back in Ft. McMurray. We typically average 35 km per day (including windbound days) and we just calculated distance at 386 km, but I'd like to explore a bit in the Clearwater River valley.

We aren't avoiding the Methye as much as we are trying to paddle as much as the Clearwater as possible and see the Lake Agassiz spillway (we are essentially portaging down the heart of the spillway).

(N.B. Frobischer Lake is mis-labelled, that's Turnor Lake)