View topic - Hayes River : Rapid / Portages log / descrition wanted

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 1:06 pm 

Hi,

My wife and me are goning to visit your beautiful country in the summer and we are planning a canoe trip on the Hayes River from Oxford House to York Factory Smile . We want to spend 14 days of paddling on the river and got anything we need for the trip but no description of the rapids or a rough description of the river ( dangerous points, water behavior in the middle to the end of june. Sad

I already tried to order Wilderness Rivers of Manitoba: Journey by Canoe Through the Land Where the Spirit Lives via Amazon but it hasnt been available for 3 month now.
Has anyone any ideas where we might be able to get/buy good informations about the rapids ?

Thanks for any tips and hints!

Michael

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 1:48 pm 

I'll forward your request to a couple of people I know who have done the Hayes.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 2:11 pm 

The book is immediately available from the US Amazon for about $20 versus the "in a month or two" at $15 from the Cdn Amazon.

My experience is that Hap's book is about as good as you're going to get for the Hayes.

While the most historic, the Hayes was far from my favourite Manitoba river.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 4:02 pm 

Chapters/Indigo may have it in stock n(often cheaper than Amazon anyway)

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Wil ... -item.html

Or you could try ordering direct from the publisher:

https://www.fireflybooks.com/bookdetail ... 1550464405

It's probably the best guide out there for the Hayes and as mentioned has all the info you would need.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 5:41 pm 

There is also Réal Bérard's report (have to pay for it) at
http://www.canadamapsales.com/en/catalo ... index.html
I hear a variety of opinion on the accuracy of his maps though. Perhaps Paddle Power and others can comment.

Lots more Hayes information is posted at
http://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=34109

Maybe you want Wilson-Aykroyd Wilderness Rivers of Manitoba, rather than the other book?
Again, Paddle Power and others can perhaps help?

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: February 12th, 2013, 1:18 pm 

Re the Réal Bérard map. I always enjoy reading his maps but they are not suitable for navigation.

Re the two books:
Wilderness Manitoba: land where the spirit lives is more of a coffee table picture book.
Wilderness Rivers of Manitoba: Journey by Canoe Through the Land Where the Spirit Lives is the guide book version.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2013, 8:27 pm 

Hello again,

Thank you all very much for the tips and hints.
I was able to order the books recently and Im looking forward to read them.

I have also beencontacted by email by 2 very nice and helpful canoeists: Thanks Ivan, thanks Gerri ! :D

Meanwhile I am thinking about changing the trip to another river or doing it in a larger group because my wife isnt very expierienced and I want her to have fun and neither I want to be worried about her safety. Any sugestions for other remote but less wildwater -trips ?
Is there a topic for trip sugestions here too ?
We have planed about two weeks of paddling for the trip and a not very high budget for getting to and back from the river to Winnipeg.
Excuse my bad English, its a bit rusty ;)

PostPosted: February 16th, 2013, 10:18 pm 

Are you determined to paddle in Manitoba or are you willing to look elsewhere?
If the latter, I suggest the Churchill in Saskatchewan; it too was part of fur-trade route and so has a rich history, for Canada.
Some well documented Routes are posted at
http://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=33978
and
http://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=33910

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: February 17th, 2013, 8:56 am 

When the books arrive take a look at the Grass River. We paddled a section of this a few years ago. Provided you are happy to sit out any windy weather on the big lakes it wouldn't be a problem for anyone to tackle. You'll find trip reports on here.

Otherwise there are plenty of routes on the east side of lake Winnipeg that I'm sure you would find absolutely fantastic trips. You could start a trip in Red Lake Ontario and paddle back toward Winnipeg. One of the fun parts is piecing together routes linking rivers and lakes to put together a loop or there is the potential to use the services offered by the First Nation communities to shuttle you back across the lake.

If you need help sorting rentals and shuttles let me know.

Chris

PostPosted: February 17th, 2013, 3:40 pm 

Michael M wrote:
Meanwhile I am thinking about changing the trip to another river or doing it in a larger group because my wife isnt very expierienced and I want her to have fun and neither I want to be worried about her safety.

The Hayes is not a terribly difficult river, by northern standards, but in terms of consequences, it is still a northern river. The rapids, while not challenging (mostly class 2) are in places long and unavoidable. The water is a bit cooler, and there are far fewer travelers. I would be reluctant to recommend the Hayes as a one-boat trip unless I was very confident in the paddling/tripping skills of both paddlers. Even still, it only takes a stroke of bad luck to create a rather uncomfortable trip. That said, I agree with the oft repeated cliche that driving there is still more dangerous.

While it is very different in terms of ecosystems, I'd recommend the East side of the lake as well. The Bloodvein is my favourite river of all time, and the Berens is similar, but with fewer people (harder to get in/out of). The Grass is very pretty as a flatwater trip punctuated with waterfalls and great fishing.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 3:55 pm 

Thanks again for all the hints and tips!
You guys are really helpfull :)

I was thinking about traveling the Bloodvein from Artery Lake to Bloodvein.

I asked some Aircharters for a quote to fly us to the Artery Lake and take us back from Lake Winnipeg to Winnipeg. But this was by far too expensive for us .
I am wondering if its cheaper to fly there from Redlake than Winnipeg .

I was also thinking about a trip from Pikangikum
to Berens River. Is that possible ?
Perimeter are flying there by schedule , arent they?

By now Hayes and Bloodvein are my favorites.

Thank you for all the help! Great community here!
I will upload a trip-log and a video guide for the trip to myccr as soon as we are back :D

Greetings,
Michael

PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 5:55 pm 

Hi Michael

Yes, I think flying in from Red Lake is cheaper, partly as they use Norseman planes but remember you have to factor in getting there. You can do this by taking the train to Red Lake Crossing and the outfitter will pick you up from there. I think you can fly by Bearskin Airlines. Or you could ask someone on here and they may give you a ride for the cost of gas. The outfitter would collect you from Winnipeg as well but that would cost a significant amount and not be economic for two people.

It can often be difficult dealing with the float plane companies as they get many inquiries for only a few customers.

There used to companies operating out of both Bisset and Pine Dock. I'm not sure if both are still flying canoes. I also see that Northway operates planes out of a small airport just north of Winnipeg. The firm at Pine Dock definitely took canoes last year. So you could try to find an outfitter in Winnipeg to take you up to Pine Dock for the flight then collect from Mattheson.

I don't know what the position is for taking a canoe on a scheduled airline. They do fly to Pikangikum and maybe also to Little Grand Rapids but it is not cheap. Look for info on Wasaya Airways for Pikangikum. Northway for LGR.

Returning can be by private boat from Berens village or by public ferry from Bloodvein. Much cheaper than flying. In both cases someone would have to pick you and the canoe up from Mattheson Island.

Chris

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 9:55 am 

chris randall wrote:
I don't know what the position is for taking a canoe on a scheduled airline. They do fly to Pikangikum and maybe also to Little Grand Rapids but it is not cheap. Look for info on Wasaya Airways for Pikangikum. Northway for LGR.

Chris

Thank you for the informations, Chris.

We have an inflatable Canoe made of Nitrile ( a sort of very strong rubber-textile)
You can see a picture of it here :
http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/sports/son ... 686823700/

Flying is no problem with it. It is 70 x 45 x 30 cm when flatened and weights 23 kilos

Ivan told us that the Hayes has some sharp rocks in the rapids and sort of rock gardens . I know that the stones in Europe are no problem for the canoe but I cant tell about the ones of the Canadian Shield. Everything seems to be tuffer up in the north ;-)

Has anyone expirience with that sort of canoes and the Hayes or any other rivers on the Canadian Shield ?

Cheers,
Michael

PostPosted: April 18th, 2013, 3:23 pm 

I just picked up Wilderness Rivers of Manitoba at a used book store here in Winnipeg for $17. They had two so I bought both.

so if you want this book, I will sell the 2nd for my cost plus shipping.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 4:02 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a trip on the Hayes this August from Norway House to York Factory and it is my first big canoe trip. I know this may sound crazy but we plan to spend the summer canoeing the rivers east of Lake Winnipeg plus taking a white water course and another Paddle Canada course. My plan is to gain as much experience as soon as the ice melts up until August.

Of course I am seeking any information from those who have paddled this route. My dad did it 40 years ago and it is a dream of mine. As if right now these are the general queries that I have, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Skill level required for the rapids (particularly those after Oxford, Knee and Swampy Lake). From what I read in Hap Wilson's book it seems that MOST of the dangerous water is negotiable either by portaging or by other means, is this generally correct?

#2 The egress. It sounds like plane is the only option. Any thoughts on flying to Churchill or Thompson (if possible) then taking the train. Has anyone flown from York Factory to either of these 2 destinations? Also I read a while back that there might be an outfitter who runs a boat service from York Factory...

#3 Maps. I am looking for the most economical way to acquire our maps and wondering if anyone knows/is in possession of these maps and I may be able to buy them second-hand if they are in good condition or know of any other resources.

#4 General recent conditions. I would love to hear from anyone who has done the trip within the past few years and would be willing to share their experiences.

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!