View topic - Hayes River : Rapid / Portages log / descrition wanted

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 4:57 pm 

#1 - The Hayes is generally considered an easy intermediate river. That means if you have some experience in moving water and are not an idiot you will be fine. On the Hayes at least and also for most of the Eastern MB rivers the portages are available and well used even on the easier rapids.

#2 - Float plane is the sensible option, to Gillam is the cheapest and you can catch the train there , Thompson would at least double the cost, there is almost always "a guy with a boat" and it's always difficult to track them down and convince them to make the trip (won't be cheap either).

#3 - You can do the trip with just Hap's maps, if you want topo's you can download them for free and then just print the sections you need. There are a number of threads on this board with details.

#4 I can't help you on this, never paddled the Hayes myself.

If you are a competent paddler with decent camping skills the Hayes a fairly easy trip. Most people consider Hap's commentary to be very conservative.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2014, 9:37 pm 

@JenniferRose,

Sounds like a great adventure. Best of Luck in your planning, and please post some pics upon your return!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: March 24th, 2014, 1:20 pm 

JenniferRose, where are you from?

I can point you to a couple of people who have paddled the river. I'll send them your email address.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2014, 12:27 pm 

Thank you very much for your responses and encouragement!!

Brian, thanks again for your contacts! Please pass my email to anyone who has done the route. Greatly appreciated!!

I am sure I will have many more questions soon. Thanks again.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2014, 4:38 pm 

Hi JenniferRose,

I'm also planning to paddle the Hayes from Norway House on my own in August, maybe stretching into early September. I was thinking of finishing with a plane or boat ride to Gillam, Via Rail to Wabowden then a shuttle back to Norway House. I did contact a guy who was willing to pick me up by boat from York Factory and take me to Gillam for $2k. I don't know how that compares to hiring a float plane.

Cheers
Steve

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2014, 12:23 pm 

Hi SteveP,

The quote that I got from Gillam Air for a pick up at York Factory and flying to Gillam was $1700 for 2 people and the canoe. Maybe we could consider going together and splitting the cost?

PostPosted: April 19th, 2014, 6:14 pm 

Hi JenniferRose,

I can't exactly say at the moment when my trip will end but most likely sometime in the first week of September at York Factory. On the whole I prefer to paddle on my own and not be constrained by a schedule. Guess I'm a bit anti-social!

S

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2014, 1:04 pm 

Jennifer and SteveP hope you both are in the midst of your trips. Please post results after you have finished. Would love to hear about your trips!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2014, 9:37 am 

I just arrived home last night after the 4 day drive from Thompson to Halifax. I paddled solo from the Sea River Ferry near Norway House to York Factory in just over 16 days with no rest days (I was time constrained due to having to be back at work next Tuesday and fitting in with the train schedule from Gillam). I had a blast, it was a fabulous trip with mostly great weather apart from two days of fierce headwinds. The last day was an exhausting 50 km paddle into a freezing strong north wind. I had a close and scary bear encounter, and went days without seeing a soul. I'll post a trip report if anyone is interested, but I'm waiting to get my camera back for the pictures, I accidentally left it on Pat's (Gillam Air) float plane.

Cheers
Steve

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 7:34 pm 

Steve, did you get your camera back? If you have time I'd love to read a trip report.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 1:10 pm 

Hey Neil,

I did get my camera back but put the trip report on the back burner mainly because the fall weather has been so good in NS. I will get round to it soon!