View topic - Fire pan options?

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Fire pan options?
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2014, 8:11 pm 

I do not know what current fire situation is in Ontario but do know that rules are rules not to be question. I get the impression that the bureaucracy is much larger and everyone is protecting their backside. This is how we operate in the States too. My dealings with the bureaucracy in Manitoba have been pleasant, reasonable and fair. And yes, I will definitely be bringing the email and keep it safe.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 12:03 am 

You asked for a permit and got it...good deal.
It is currently so wet here that I dont think you could start a fire if you wanted to. Most of the time there will be no issue if you have a small fire. A large smoky one will bring a visit from the fire patrol helicopter to check it out and then you may as well get out your wallet.
If it is raining or has been, and the area is really wet, again likely no issue. August is usually a hot dry month here and the back country is often closed to travel and the fire ban is zealously applied.

I dont remember the exact year but I believe early 90's, most of Manitoba above Grand Rapids was evacuated due to fires... they were bringing people out by CC 130 and housing them in Winnipeg. It was a big deal. The next year is when the fire bans went into effect.

So, if you have a longish trip planned, and want to stay compliant, just email off for a permit. Better safe than sorry. I take a stove and really only have a small fire in the fall when it is colder out and the bugs are done.

The whole east side of the Province from Whiteshell all the way up to Norway House is a tinder dry, huge pile of fuel waiting for the right time to light up and when it does it will be like the Yellowstone fires ...no way to stop them. There have been some real big ones the past few years already.

Christy

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 5:44 pm 

Worth wrote:
Great news! Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship sent me an email giving us an exemption with the appropriate warnings and caveats. This is why I like Manitoba vs. Ontario.

Are you able to tell us exactly what you have been given an exemption for? To have a fire or to use a particular item of equipment etc.

It's great news that you can proceed as planned but this really isn't a sustainable way to run a government. If every paddler and angler who wanted to have a small fire to cook lunch contacted MB Conservation the whole system would simply grind to a halt. The local conservation officers spend precious little time on the ground as it is, (one of the reasons that moose population in parts of Manitoba are so low) and to have them tied up issuing exemptions would not be a good thing.

As for Ontario v Manitoba. When the travel ban was in place in Eastern Manitoba there was a procession of paddlers etc. heading a couple of miles over the border into NW Ontario where there were no restrictions.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 8:45 pm 

My first email during the winter sought clarification on permits for non-residents, non-citizens and also asked if there was any specific information that would be of interest to us. I sought clarification on the response received because we were told we could use an "official fire pan" but could not find it defined anywhere on the governmental websites.

The response back was short and sweet, "...you will be able to have a fire outside of provincial parks, but you must make sure it is done in a safe spot i.e. rocky point. And if the fire is to escape you will be responsible for the extinguishing it...".

At no point did we ask for an exemption. We are guests and as guests we will conduct ourselves appropriately and with respect. Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship was contacted to insure we do so.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2015, 10:17 am 

the dry summer '15 has go me doing some research. We're doing the Hayes and are down to 15 days before putin. Trying to figure out how much fuel to take VS using Chris's Super Yukon stove. Past experience has shown that once on the water, one won't be seeing any official type folks. Just wanted to ask you MB folks if there has been any switch or tightening of Regs.
Edited as I didn't see page 2 and Worth's replies.
Looks to me like we're good to go.
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.