View topic - 3 day canoe route idea's please

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 24th, 2014, 10:51 pm 

k gents looking for some options on 3 day 2 night excursions. son and I are looking for something for this coming september. The area we looking at is the southeastern area of Manitoba maybe nipoming. Ideas please as that is all the available time I have for a trip
At this time all options are on the table just need some idea's .

Take your time. Do it right. Let speed take care of itself

PostPosted: July 25th, 2014, 5:53 pm 

If you have the experience and your son is a good paddler, it's hard to pass up the opportunity to paddle the Manigotagan from Caribou Landing to PR 304.

Bird River from Tulabi is a good route. Depending on your skill level it takes roughly 3.5 to 5 hours to reach Elbow Lake where there is camping.

I did a two night trip there last fall. Day 1 we left Tulabi around 11:00am and finished around 6:30pm at the end of McGregor Lake. There's a really nice spot for one tent at the beginning of the portage to Snowshoe. We single tripped our portages but didn't paddle too hard and stopped for a beer break and a lunch break.

Day two we fished and slowly made our way back to Elbow Lake. Day three we had an easy paddle back to Tulabi.

The new interactive Nopiming map is nice:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/nopim ... index.html

PostPosted: July 25th, 2014, 8:32 pm 

The Bird River is a nice trip. 3 ports, longest is 385m. Easy day into McGregor. Nice small lake with good fishing. We stayed on the island, but there are other spots on the lake. As Neil said, there is one small one at the other falls where the river enters McGregor, but up the hill there is a nice spot with more room at the top of the falls and you don't need to deal with the spray from the falls soaking everything. Lots of moose poop up there last year.

Water level in the Bird was good last year, first week of September.

Karin

PostPosted: July 25th, 2014, 10:38 pm 

Oh, I didn't even think about spray from the falls. I was there in very low water. Water is pretty high this year.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 2:43 pm 

Manitoba has added a planning tool that could help you plan a trip to other areas in Nopiming as well:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/nopiming/gMap/index.html
it includes portages & campsites

there are several possible trips for you, Cole Lake/Rabbit River, Gem Lake, or Seagrim are a few besides Bird River

BTW, does anybody know how popular these other places are, I've been to Bird River

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 7:00 pm 

Seagrim's and Rabbit River are quite popular but I was just on Seagrim's on a Tuesday/Wednesday and didn't see anyone until our way out. On long weekends the two parking lots are full of cars.

I doubt you'd ever see all sites get filled though.

Gem is a popular fishing lake. People leave boats there and carry their motor in. I haven't been there in 25 years though.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 8:00 pm 

Cole Lake can fill up, only 4 sites on the lake proper and it is popular. Water might be getting low up there too.

Gem isn't a route proper like the Bird, and it is accessible by quad and there is a boat cache so there is plenty of boat traffic on weekends.