View topic - An open letter to the "Rangers" who tripped on the Grass Riv

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 8:09 pm 

I managed to contact the senior leadership at 1 Royal Canadian Horse Artillery today. I recieved two very swift and sincere personal phone calls in answer to my email. They are taking this very seriously and an investigation has been started into the matter. For real.

Chris is also pursuing it, and I am certain that it is receiving close attention. For now that is all that I will say, until I hear back on the results of the investigation and can provide facts.

Christine

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 9:05 pm 

Thank you! I am happy to hear that it is seriously being reviewed.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 10:14 pm 

jjoven: I applaud your efforts to clean up the messes you encountered and I urge you to not let up in pursuit of the offenders. The messages in this thread are genuine proof that you have much support in this matter and your fellow paddlers are to be congratulated for stepping up and getting involved.

Over the past decade, volunteers of The Wabakimi Project have encountered similar situations in the Wabakimi Area. The best they could do is to quietly clean up such abuses of the environment for the benefit of future visitors to this wonderful wilderness area.

I'm pleased there is a platform such as CCR where these issues can be raised, openly discussed and solutions sought. Our collective voices should be raised to draw attention to these issues and to voice our frustrations and disgust. Only then can we expect to muster support for the protection of our fragile wilderness areas.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2014, 12:20 am 

:clap:

PostPosted: August 8th, 2014, 4:44 am 

:thumbup:

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: August 8th, 2014, 5:13 am 

Thank you Christine and Chris for making the right contacts. Perhaps, with some pressure from their superiors this sort of thing will not happen again...at least from from this bunch.

Phil, credit where credit is due, the major work of picking up trash and gathering the cast off gear and poles was done by our tripmate Mike. I only helped scrape the foil from the firepits and put it in a garbage bag. Mike also carried out the bag.

This was his second trip into the Canadian bush. We introduced him to expedition canoeing last year and he was captivated. In the US he is a Horticulturist and a spelunker. Mike is an outdoorsman, has a long history of leave no trace and was outraged at the destruction.

I corresponded with him yesterday, he hopes these "portage poopers" (his words) get their due.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../