View topic - Broadleaf River upstream of Leaf Lake?

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2015, 7:19 pm 

So, last time we were up that way was June 2013. We cleared the ports from Wallace to Leaf but upriver on the Broadleaf beyond Leaf Lake it was horrid. But we ran out of water that trip anyway, however, we are headed back up there in 3 weeks to get into Kosteck and would prefer to not take the by-pass and go the long way around. It is a nice paddle despite having more ports.

Anyone been around that way since the Snowdown of 2012 to know if the ports are open? I really don't want to drag a chainsaw up there if I don't have to, although there were some long down laydowns that could use cutting out regardless, but still...

Any new info from last year perhaps would be helpful.

Thanks
Karin

PostPosted: June 5th, 2015, 3:26 pm 

There are a couple of groups on the Bloodvein, which gained access via Wallace.

Maybe someone took the Broadleaf instead of the O Portages.

Hopefully you will know more in a week or two once they are out.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2015, 6:55 pm 

At this point I think the chainsaw will be going regardless so we will cut out whatever lies ahead for future groups. The first port upstream of Leaf Lake has needed to be moved further back from the river for quite some time as during high water years it is in the water. We have talked for years about actually cutting the ports out so perhaps this is the year we actually do it.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 4:03 pm 

We may head that way in mid July. We haven't decided yet Obukowin or Broadleaf but unless things are considerably dry before our trip, we'll take the Broadleaf.

I'll be looking forward to your report on water levels and portage conditions. We would most certainly benefit from your hard work on the portages!

PostPosted: June 15th, 2015, 1:59 pm 

I hear that all the way up the Broadleaf was good en route to the Bloodvein in early June 2015.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2015, 7:31 pm 

That is awesome thank you, we may still take the chainsaw to improve some of the ports. Mind you, given a choice I would love to leave it at home and not have to portage it as well.

Karin

PostPosted: June 26th, 2015, 6:10 am 

We are off this morning, going to pick up a new chainsaw on the way up and see what we can do to improve the trails. I've been wanting to cut a high water trail at #6 coming down the Wanipigow for a while, so maybe I can do that this time around.

We don't know how far up we will get, Christine is still not 100% after her heart attack last year, but we hope to get all the way up to Kosteck.

Karin

PostPosted: June 30th, 2015, 8:04 pm 

Did not make it to Kosteck, in fact, never got up to the first portage above Leaf Lake. We had to drag the canoe to get within site of it. Water levels are way down and the fire risk up there is "Extreme". We had thunderstorms Fri/Sat/Sun and the provincial fire map shows 23 new lightning fires over the 5 days we were out. 8 of those are along or near the Bloodvein.

If you are determined enough to drag through all the rapids upstream of Leaf Lake I'm sure you can get there. I'll post photo's tomorrow.

On the bright side, all the portages to Leaf Lake are cut out. We widened the one at the Broadleaf/Wanipigow junction and totally cut out the next one upstream. Also removed all the lay downs on #7 on the Wanipigow. Need to sharpen the chain on the new saw now.

We might make a go at the rest of them at some other time, but it would need to be 2 saws, spare chains and extra hands would help.

I wouldn't be surprised by a back country travel ban anytime soon.

Karin

PostPosted: July 1st, 2015, 12:45 pm 

I should point out that none of the rapids on the Wanipigow are runnable at the present time.

Number 7.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2015, 12:47 pm 

Just below the first port upstream of Leaf Lake, the actual port is past the large boulder field on the right.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2015, 12:49 pm 

On the way out we finished cutting the first port upstream of the Junction and flagged it well.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2015, 5:51 pm 

If it stays dry, this might be the optimum year to do the Mothers.

Of note, the bugs were really bad. Black Flies are still out, deer flies are beginning and enough mosquito's to devour a cow at night. On the bright side, there is a bumper crop of dragonflies.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2015, 8:01 pm 

Thanks for the update.

I'm sure others will appreciate your trail clearing efforts.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2015, 6:14 pm 

Perhaps over the next five years we can get it all finished up. Maybe next year we will go earlier to get more water.

Karin

PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 3:10 pm 

As usual great job Ladies! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
you should get a grant to spend the whole summer clearing Portages.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.