View topic - two small Bloodvein questions

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 4:05 pm 

We're doing the Bloodvein in early August and have 2 small questions.

1. Do people treat the water before drinking? Normally I would never ask this but a few years ago we ended up with giardia after doing the Manigotagan (admittedly a very different type of drainage; and it was in full flood).

2. Can we "count on" fish for some of our meals? I realize that there are no guarantees, and that there are many imponderables that enter an answer (time of year, how much time we spend fishing, etc). Just a general answer would suffice.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 4:39 pm 

I always filtered the water. When canoeing in northern Quebec, I never did, but as you stated, different river system (and climate).

I always managed to catch a few fish dinners on the Bloodvein in early season, during June/early July. I wouldn't be certain of sufficient catch in August, as the Pickerel fishing usually slows down by then.

My most memorable fish dinner on the Bloodvein occurred during late June 1998, when in early evening I was searching out a campsite and ran into a couple of Conservation Officers. I was traveling solo, and the two gentlemen invited me for supper. They had caught quite a few Pickerel, and we had a huge fish fry. Great meal, great memory!

Always a good day, east of James Bay.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 6:25 pm 

1. Do people treat the water before drinking?

Given how little time it takes, we always either filter the water with our Katadyn Hiker Pro (12 ounces) or zap it with our Steripen (100 grams plus batteries). Sometimes we do both! Why even take a chance?

2. Can we "count on" fish for some of our meals?

You can always pack out the "meat" - canned or freeze dried - you don't make use of if the fishing has been really good. We're not talking a lot of weight here and the portaging is really not an issue on the Manitoba section of the Bloodvein.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2015, 9:26 pm 

Yes, plan on filtering the water.

As for fish...start early in the day when they are active and that way you will be certain to have them come supper time. If you try to get some in the afternoon you will likely come up empty.

Christy