View topic - Wallace Lake loop.

It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wallace Lake loop.
PostPosted: June 7th, 2017, 9:30 pm 

Hey Folks,

Myself and two buddies are planning on doing a Friday afternoon- Tuesday trip departing from Wallace Lake heading east through Siderock and looping back to Wallace. This will be our first trip and there will be two of us in one boat and myself in a solo. We were going to do the Aikens loop but decided not because of our time available and because we didn't want to risk getting stuck at Aikens if there is a heavy chop on the water. Looking for route suggestions, advice or whatever. This will be our first foray and we are pretty stoked. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

RWC.

Post subject: Re: Wallace Lake loop.
PostPosted: June 8th, 2017, 11:22 pm 

I camped on Siderock once, to begin a Bloodvein trip, so I don't have much experience with the area. Are you taking the portage across to Siderock then the Wanipigow back? That's a pretty short trip for Friday - Tuesday.

Some other options in the area - depending on water levels:

-paddle downstream on the Wanipigow then up the Broadleaf to Leaf Lake then up to Aikens and back to Leaf.
-drive the Quesnel Lake Rd until Spence Creek. paddle Spence into Big Clearwater and camp. Continue onto the Manigotagan and lunch or camp at Turtle Falls.
-camp at Siderock then paddle upstream on the Wanipigow until you get to the burn area - no idea how far up that would be.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 6:54 am 

That is a pretty short loop for sure. The portage into Siderock is in super shape, took it twice on the long weekend, at the time just the one muddy spot about 600 m in from Wallace. Plenty of rain in the forecast for this weekend so it could be a bit wetter, but still a very nice walk in the park.

Siderock levels were down quite a bit two weeks ago and there hasn't been any significant rainfall, so it could be lower, but motor boats were still accessing the lake from the river at the time.

Plenty of places to camp on Siderock. I'll see if I can find the map I created a few years ago.
Attachment:
Siderock camps.jpg
Siderock camps.jpg [ 54.64 KiB | Viewed 2825 times ]

Side trips could include walking up to First lake from Siderock, the first leg of the Mothers. Being so dry the Mothers may not be in legendary status this year. If you want to go East up the Wanipigow towards WCPP, last years fire burned through that entire area at the East end of Siderock, so the first port at the falls into Siderock may be where the fire line was and everything beyond that into Ontario. If you do that I would love to see photo's especially of the little lake just past all the rock gardens.

The Wanipigow R coming out of Siderock is a lovely 6km meandering paddle back to Wallace. We have done it about 2 dozen times over the years. More of a pleasure coming down than going up. Expect it to take as long one way as taking the 1.4km portage.

Last years fire borders...
Attachment:
Red Lake 003.jpg
Red Lake 003.jpg [ 126.77 KiB | Viewed 2825 times ]

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 10:31 am 

Sorry Folks,

I guess I should clarify. Our intentions are to depart from Wallace Lake Friday Afternoon and camp on Siderock the first night, then head east towards Bulging Lake then loop around back to Wallace for Tuesday night. I didn't realize that this area got hammered with a fire last year. Maybe we will attempt the Aikens Lake Loop anyways.

Thanks for all your help

RWC.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2017, 10:43 pm 

Try this ....look at the Aikens half loop. Head up the Wanipigow to Leaf Lake, one day. Go north on the Broadleaf from Leaf Lake up to Kosteck. Second day. There are two ways to get to Kosteck...the long way round following the Broadleaf, or the bypass through the little lake. I like to take the Broadleaf up and the bypass back.
You then come out the way you went in. Two days up, two days back. You can always cut short if you have to and just do Leaf and back, which is a great first trip on its own.

Look in the trip reports, we have documented that route really well and between us and Martin Kehoe, the ports are all clear. Have fun, wish I was going with you.

Christine

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 1:05 pm 

For anyone wishing for an easy canoe trip I second Christine's suggestion. It is a far better option than going east from Wallace Lake. You will have privacy, short firm portages and great scenery. If you want a longer trip just take the long easy portage up to Aikens's Lake from Kostek. The Gammon River has two exits from Aiken's Lake. This allows a loop trip that would be two easy days with clear portages. Another little bit down the Gammon past where the splits come together is a great rapids to camp at or turn around after lunch.

I just returned after two weeks exploring routes north of the Bloodvein and east of Sassiginnigak Lake. Unbelievable open routes all over up there. This can be accessed after about 5 days travel from Wallace Lake.

This report from 2016 has all the info you need.http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/wallace-lake-bloodvein-river-tea-pail-portage

PostPosted: June 21st, 2017, 2:14 pm 

Thanks for the help everyone,

We will be attempting the Aikens lake loop starting this Friday. We will head West and up and around. Unfortunately, due to work schedules we won't be able to depart from the city until 3 pm, 4 hours travel and a half hour to unload and start paddling means that we won't be on the water until 7:30 (hopefully we can shave off some time and get on the water a little earlier). I am thinking we might find a place to camp at the eastern shore of Wallace Lake where the lake meets the river. Does anyone have a suggestion where to camp?

RWC.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2017, 4:55 pm 

Did you mean the western shore of Wallace Lake since you're heading west? The second post in this thread has a camp site on an island before the Wanapigow: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 14&t=33514

PostPosted: June 21st, 2017, 6:40 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
-drive the Quesnel Lake Rd until Spence Creek. paddle Spence into Big Clearwater and camp.

Hi Neil,

With regards to Big Clearwater, are there any designated spots to camp on that lake? I was under the impression that one could only camp at designated camp sites within Nopiming.

Thanks.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2017, 6:43 pm 

That is a pretty small site, we have used it a couple of times though. If you had the time and could make the first portage, there is a site there with more room. Just prior to that first portage on river right there is an ideal looking spot on a rock outcrop but I picked up a deer tick there a few years ago and suggest it be avoided.

Attachments:
Wallace to first portage.jpg
Wallace to first portage.jpg [ 110.17 KiB | Viewed 2615 times ]

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 7:31 am 

crowmaster wrote:
Hi Neil,

With regards to Big Clearwater, are there any designated spots to camp on that lake? I was under the impression that one could only camp at designated camp sites within Nopiming.

Thanks.

Gotta be honest, I thought it was part of the Manigotagan Park Reserve, not Nopiming. Learn something new every day...

Edit: Just noticed that the campsites after the rock fill dam on the Manigotagan (Elbow Rapids, etc) are inside Nopiming.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 4:08 pm 

Well live and learn! I was really hoping I was had misinterpreted the regs.

I'm assuming then that in the Manigotagan Park Reserve that back country camping at non designated sites are ok?

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 10:39 am 

Hmmm... That's a good question. The river has campsites marked and maintained by the river stewards - including Elbow Rapids - who were a part of Natural Resources. The river steward program has now been cancelled so we'll have to see what happens to those sites.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 12:14 pm 

We had our boats in the water by 7:30 pm on Friday June 23, not long after that the grey clouds dropped and enveloped us in mist and rain. We finally found the camp site on the Big Island just before dark and managed to set camp, cook up a steak and soup before heading to bed. The next day we made it into Leaf Lake. It was quite a day with mostly rain, 9 portages and my buddies consuming over 20 beers a piece and a 26 of Jack Daniels between the two of them throughout the day. We made camp that evening at the Northern part of Leaf Lake and had a warm fire before heading to bed. My buddies were extremely hardy in the weather and hard workers, the perfect guys you want on a trip and we learned a few things:

1) No Beer on a serious canoe trip.
2) Minimize your stuff – less to carry on the Portages.
3) Have the right stuff (dry bags, rain gear, clothes, etc.)

Being newbies to the ways of a proper canoe trip we realized that we didn’t have the time (and I think my buddies were too proud to admit that they were too hungover) to push on we returned to a nice spot on the way in and spent the afternoon swimming, fishing and enjoying the nice weather. We passed an older couple on their way in and my buddies saw how efficient they were with their packs, navigation, equipment etc and it motivated us. Next year we are going to take a week off proper and to the Aikens loop without a doubt!

Aside from that the trip was great, we saw a cow Moose with a calf in tow, 2 young bears, a number of Beaver and Mink and an abundance of waterfowl including a close encounter with a flock of Swans on Leaf Lake.

RWC.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 1:07 pm 

Sounds like you made some good decisions. Once you are out there slow down and enjoy where you are. Chasing on to complete the "plan" leaves no good memories. As you found out, a seven to 10 day trip could be done without ever crossing Aikens Lake.

I am heading that way again later this summer. Where was the nice spot you camped at on the way back out? Beer in canoe country, that is why they have floatplanes.