View topic - Wallace Lake loop.

It is currently July 22nd, 2019, 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wallace Lake loop.
PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 1:31 pm 

RWC, thanks for the report. Good wildlife sightings! My son and I are going in to Wallace the first week of August to access the Bloodvein. We're waiting to see about water levels before deciding on the Wanipigow-Broadleaf-Kosteck-Aikens route or the 3-Mothers' route to Obukowin. Marten, I'm using your info on both routes, as well as Karin and Christie's reports. Thanks for sharing your maps and video reports. When are you planning your next trip there?

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 5:12 pm 

We plan on heading downsream from Wallace on July 30 and go up the Sassiginnigak River before heading east into some country I explored in May and if time allows do more investigating around No Name Lake before taking a long portage back to the Bloodvein and then use the Tea Pail Portage back to the Gammon River. We may head east and use the Obukowin Portages to avoid backtracking on what we came in on. It would keep us away from the thick wild rice that will be on Leaf Lake by that time. I have been checking the rain situation at this site http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/fire/Fire-Maps/ One of the selections is yesterdays rain fall on a color coded map. Another map shows the fire danger on a similar map. Things seem to be plenty wet so far. Water levels should be up for our entry.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2017, 5:59 pm 

RWC, any pictures? Sounds like it was a blast.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 6:07 am 

We were much further south than Wallace on the weekend and the river is only about 50km long, but it was low. However, being pool and drop there was plenty of water between the rapid/falls so progress was fair.

Mosquito's were abundant but not horrible yet, deer flies are out, plenty of ticks as well.

RWC, that certainly was a good choice and Leaf Lake is a nice destination for any weekend trip. We have done up to Kosteck for a base camp trip as well, and Aikens and back on an 8 day trip.

The only beer we saw this weekend was the 10 or so quadders at port 4 guzzling it down.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2017, 10:46 am 

Sorry Neil no pics. I should invest in a decent camera of sort but the wife is already chirping at how much I've spent on my outdoor endeavours.

RWC (Derek).

PostPosted: July 4th, 2017, 12:09 pm 

Derek, I have the Nikon AW110 (waterproof) and like it. I recently saw the AW130 on clearance sale at WalMart. Definitely a good camera if you can find one on clearance or Amazon for around $100.

They take pretty decent pictures and they fit in the pocket of a PFD.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 3:06 pm 

I received a report from a few weeks ago for the Broadleaf Route.This solo paddler had shallow water on the winding portion of the Broadleaf above Leaf Lake on the way in. Upon returning 10 days later the beavers had built a big dam and he had nice paddling in the same spot,go beavers!!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 3:40 pm 

Thanks for the info Martin! We're heading that way this weekend.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2017, 9:32 am 

I'll look forward to your report, Neil. I'm hoping to do a solo trip in that direction the last week of July. If the water is too shallow in the Broadleaf, I may change my plans to head up the Rice River to Shallow Lake, though I'm concerned about low water there, too.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2017, 5:13 pm 

I won't be able to get water level info to you. We're starting a three week trip there. You'll be on the water before we're back.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2017, 6:19 pm 

Neil, how far north you headed? I was up past Sassiginnigak Lake and four portages north of Brad this spring. The Atik River from Brad was really low as the beavers were all gone and there was no channel, just shallow muck. There is a parallel route into Brad from the south that uses a portage not shown on any map I have seen.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2017, 7:24 pm 

Marten, we were planning on paddling the Leyond. Originally we were planning to paddle the Berens but we'll have our dogs with us and they'll slow us down quite a bit.

Thanks for the info, we'll know to expect low waters. We may look into another route but if all else fails, we can paddle back down the Sasaginnigak.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 8:10 am 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
I won't be able to get water level info to you. We're starting a three week trip there. You'll be on the water before we're back.

Sounds wonderful, Neil. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. I'm jealous. I'll still look forward to your report...to learn more about your adventure!

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 8:25 am 

Neil just sent me an inreach message saying not to take the Broadleaf River. They ran out of water and need to alter their plans.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 8:50 am 

Marten and Neil, thanks for communicating this. We're waiting and watching the area for just such on-the-water info as my son and I are scheduled early August to paddle the Bloodvein to Lake Winnipeg using access from Wallace. With two weeks to go before departure, your update points us increasingly towards the infamous "3 Mothers" route.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next