View topic - Wallace Lake loop.

It is currently September 20th, 2019, 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Wallace Lake loop.
PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 7:50 pm 

Marten

You had a brutal weekend to start the trip, the 30th was 102F with the humidex, that must have been some nasty heat on the first leg of the Mothers. I suppose they were pretty dry though. Walk in the park? I was thinking about you heading in on that Sunday.

Karin

Post subject: Re: Wallace Lake loop.
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 8:33 am 

Mihun09 wrote:
Marten

You had a brutal weekend to start the trip, the 30th was 102F with the humidex, that must have been some nasty heat on the first leg of the Mothers. I suppose they were pretty dry though. Walk in the park? I was thinking about you heading in on that Sunday.

Karin

The trip certainly faced a lot of issues right from the Wallace Lake dock. The Broadleaf route to Aiken's Lake was still dry and we even had to drag our canoes for 100 meters to get into Siderock Lake upstream on the Wanipigow. We did not paddle away from the dock until 2:00 so at 4:30 we opted to camp on the point of Siderock and let the first of the Mothers wait until the cool of the morning. We also had the issue of this big fire to the north and I was not sure where it was and was not going to get into those portages until I knew. A satellite phone call to my wife and she was able to find out it was 25 K away east of Craven Lake in WCPP.

Attachment:
Craven Fire7302017 -e-m Copy (640x360).jpg
Craven Fire7302017 -e-m Copy (640x360).jpg [ 113.99 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]

Before we finished the first portage a big thunderstorm hit so we sat under the tarp for lunch. Before finishing the second one another storm cell hit hard. I estimate we got 75-100 mm of rain. Good news was it put that big fire out, Ontaria had been letting it burn. These storms were not very wide so did not help bring any water levels up.