View topic - Point du Bois - Burton Lake

It is currently July 24th, 2019, 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 10:12 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has been into Burton Lake (end of Blind Bay) near Point du Bois. I am wondering if there is a portage (trail/path/... something).

PostPosted: August 26th, 2017, 9:12 pm 

Portage into Burton Lake is where I expected it to be - at the blind end of Blind Bay. The portage into Regimbal Lake is off of the creek - a little harder to find as it appears to be rarely used (at least in the summer).

PostPosted: August 27th, 2017, 12:43 pm 

Did you portage into the pond between Blind Bay and Burton then paddle the creek? Was there enough water in creeks to paddle or did you have to drag?

PostPosted: August 27th, 2017, 8:24 pm 

There was enough water to paddle the pond -> Burton (except for the lift over at the end of the pond), and then there was just enough water to get to the rock garden (pond) and portage into Regimbal. The south side of Burton Lake was difficult as the organic mush was about the same level as the water - I was thinking I should have brought my marsh pole.

A short YouTube video of Blind Bay -> Burton.
https://youtu.be/Zk1lUlF2dQY

At some point I turned off the stabilization in my camera and I didn't want to clean it up on my computer post processing - this is what I have, along with a pile of pictures (mostly of the flowers though).

PostPosted: August 27th, 2017, 11:36 pm 

Great video! I love the rock in low water. Just the right weather for filming too.

Any good camping along the way? I'd love to spend a weekend in the area. I worked on the Winnipeg River for 7 years and spent an awful lot of time at Pointe du Bois and Slave Falls. I'm due to visit the area again.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:16 pm 

I wasn't looking for camping so I didn't look too closely. There were a few places in Burton and Regimald that would be fine for camping. I was sent a message just before I left regarding camping (and fires) in Blind Channel and Burton Lake - no official sites, no camping or fires. The COs have apparently been handing out more tickets this summer.

That being said I don't know how many people would get followed over two or three portages (esp the one into Regimald Lake.