View topic - Beresford to Gem Lake

It is currently July 23rd, 2019, 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beresford to Gem Lake
PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 8:01 pm 

Hello,

Has anyone done the Beresford to Gem Lake route? Any reports or advice to share?

I might be heading out that way in mid September, and was considering leaving the car at the Beresford Lake boat launch, and spend a night or two at Gem before coming back.

Thanks.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 11:13 pm 

I've never paddled there but Karin and Christy have. Hopefully they can chime in. Here's their reports from the Beresford area:

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=40415

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=38852

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 6:19 am 

Actually we have not been to Gem. We did paddle up the Manigotagan to the first portage going that way but did not go further at the time. It goes out river right looking upstream. We also checked out the road access and it goes into a parking area and a ATV park type thing. No truck access from that point according to the signs, just a bunch of quad trails through an old clear cut.

There is a large boat cache on Gem, accessed by quad, so there is always fishing boats out there along with the usual hooligans, so don't expect a full wilderness experience. The fishing is supposed to be very good though.

Good luck, we would love to hear how good the trails are into Gem.

Karin

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 5:54 pm 

Thanks for the links and info. It's a bit tough to get info on this route; but I was aware of the boat cache. The hooliganism, not so much... What is it with people???

We were looking forward to a wilderness experience but it seems like we may have to rethink. Do you know if it's ok to leave the car at Beresford for a few days while we are away? I hear most lakes are closed after the Labor day weekend.

Thanks.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 6:45 pm 

We have camped at Beresford Park during and after the Labour Day weekend. The boat ramp is not part of the park so should be fine and I know Martin Kehoe and others have parked there much longer in the past. It is like anywhere though, off the beaten path, don't leave valuables in the vehicle and maybe even nothing with your home address on it, like vehicle registration.

The gate is in the park, not on the road to the ramp.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/pdf/maps/ ... ground.pdf

Beresford is open to October 9.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/camping/d ... dates.html

Hooligans meaning people and alcohol out where there are no rules or authorities.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 4:17 pm 

Having a hard time convincing my canoe partner to do Gem. Looks like Garner Lake is more likely now. Not as scenic going in, but I hear the lake is very nice with good fishing. Just have to watch out for boats along the river to Garner.