View topic - Beresford to Gem Lake

It is currently August 11th, 2020, 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beresford to Gem Lake
PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 8:01 pm 

Hello,

Has anyone done the Beresford to Gem Lake route? Any reports or advice to share?

I might be heading out that way in mid September, and was considering leaving the car at the Beresford Lake boat launch, and spend a night or two at Gem before coming back.

Thanks.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 11:13 pm 

I've never paddled there but Karin and Christy have. Hopefully they can chime in. Here's their reports from the Beresford area:

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=40415

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=38852

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 6:19 am 

Actually we have not been to Gem. We did paddle up the Manigotagan to the first portage going that way but did not go further at the time. It goes out river right looking upstream. We also checked out the road access and it goes into a parking area and a ATV park type thing. No truck access from that point according to the signs, just a bunch of quad trails through an old clear cut.

There is a large boat cache on Gem, accessed by quad, so there is always fishing boats out there along with the usual hooligans, so don't expect a full wilderness experience. The fishing is supposed to be very good though.

Good luck, we would love to hear how good the trails are into Gem.

Karin

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 5:54 pm 

Thanks for the links and info. It's a bit tough to get info on this route; but I was aware of the boat cache. The hooliganism, not so much... What is it with people???

We were looking forward to a wilderness experience but it seems like we may have to rethink. Do you know if it's ok to leave the car at Beresford for a few days while we are away? I hear most lakes are closed after the Labor day weekend.

Thanks.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 6:45 pm 

We have camped at Beresford Park during and after the Labour Day weekend. The boat ramp is not part of the park so should be fine and I know Martin Kehoe and others have parked there much longer in the past. It is like anywhere though, off the beaten path, don't leave valuables in the vehicle and maybe even nothing with your home address on it, like vehicle registration.

The gate is in the park, not on the road to the ramp.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/pdf/maps/ ... ground.pdf

Beresford is open to October 9.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/camping/d ... dates.html

Hooligans meaning people and alcohol out where there are no rules or authorities.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 4:17 pm 

Having a hard time convincing my canoe partner to do Gem. Looks like Garner Lake is more likely now. Not as scenic going in, but I hear the lake is very nice with good fishing. Just have to watch out for boats along the river to Garner.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2020, 12:56 pm 

Any updates? My understanding of Nopiming is that you can only camp on designated routes at designated sites. Garner has designated sites, but Gem does not. So, I assume that overnight canoe camping to Gem Lake is not an activity that is allowed within the park. Too bad about the ATVs and boat cache.

P.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2020, 9:51 am 

on Thursday I visited the falls and rapids on the garner river, I started from the nopiming trail paddled up the manigotagan and turned north up the garner. The rapids are beautiful and the portage trail is clear and marked. I then proceeded upstream to the falls, and they were amazing. I did not investigate the 355 pace portage trail but it was marked and I presume it’s clear as well. The previous Sunday I had gone up the manigotagan starting from the nopiming trail and I finished clearing 4 of the 5 portages (I had cleared some in winter) Those portages are sometimes not marked, the markers are falling apart. I tried best I could to restore and make them visible. I did not explore the 5th and last portage on the way to Gem. I highly recommend a day trip up this way it is a very beautiful set of rapids and has that awesome wild river feel to it. At the first portage going east there is a waterfall that flows down a canyon that is breathtaking. It’s about 4km paddle to the first port, there’s about 1 km of portages you’d need to do to get to Gem and about 10 - 12 km paddling to get to Gem. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2020, 12:35 pm 

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the info. Sounds very nice, but too far from Wpg for a day trip up the Garner R. to Gem Lake.

I guess you camp at one the park's campgrounds in the area at Beresford Lake or Black Lake to paddle in this area - any tips on which campground a tent-camping canoeist might prefer (i.e., least busy with RVs and boats)?

Cheers, Pat.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2020, 2:11 pm 

I’m sorry, I don’t stay much in campgrounds. From what I hear black lake is the nicer campground. If you use that as a base there’s tons of day trips you can do in the area , and also lots of great hiking. So maybe you stay there a few nights, do some trips and then spend another few nights or longer at some backcountry canoe sites. If you’re more adventurous you can head into atikaki or to crown land where there is no restrictions on designated site camping.

Best wishes to you

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2020, 4:53 pm 

Staying in the campgrounds isn't really the experience I'm looking for, I'd rather get away from the cars and camp at a quieter place, swim & fish right from the site. Provincial park campgrounds aren't as hard to come by as overnight canoeing sites.

My challenge with Atataki and other places is the time to get away for longer trips. I'm looking for some get-a-ways for weekends. I'm sure the campgrounds and designated sites are fine, and I will check them out, but I was hoping for more opportunities to canoe camp in Nopiming.

From what I hear the sites at Seagrim and Rabbitt/Cole can get busy and dirty, so that's a bit of a disincentive. But might as well check it first-hand.

P.

Last edited by yarnellboat on May 2nd, 2020, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2020, 5:08 pm 

I think you will love it! I was in both those routes multiple times last year during mid week, and fortunately for me they were not busy or messy. There are many other routes to explore if your time permits. Hope you have many wonderful adventures

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2020, 6:42 pm 

Going mid-week would be a good problem-solver for this! But that doesn't work for me. More than likely we'd be rolling in mid-day on Saturday and worried about whether we find an open site, but that's just my reality for now.

I wish a few more of these lakes were closed to motor boats and open for backcountry camping.

Still a great area to explore for sure, so we'll get there. I guess we just haven't been yet because if campground camping is the primary experience, or even day paddling, there are lots of other places to go that are closer, but it looks nice.

P.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2020, 12:37 pm 

Hmmm, can't seem to edit my previous posts because the forum shows me as "offline"?

Anyway, I need to correct some info above, where I erroneously said that camping was not allowed on Gem Lake...

Gem in fact does have designated campsites, and so camping is permitted on Gem at those sites (though it also has motor boats, and the park seems to assume you'd portage in on the ATV trail, not come up the river - the approx. 15 km of the Manigotagan River from 314 to Gem does not have designated campsites).

Gem is listed for backcountry sites in the text of Nopiming's management plan (draft, 2015), but for some reason the sites there aren't shown on the map in the management plan, and info on the Gem sites are not included in the park's "water route" activity maps. The Gem Lake sites are listed in other provincial info, just hard to find if you're looking at the web page and maps for Nopiming.

Sorry for any confusion, Pat.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2020, 4:44 pm 

Thanks Pat, that’s good to know. I saw the sites on paddle planner and wasn’t sure whether it was ok to camp there. Now I can plan a trip in there! I want to explore further up the manigotagan to Slate lake and possibly beyond. There’s an old mine site there, and according to the Real Berard maps the river is impassable past there because of deadfall across the river. Also there was a portage trail going into Ontario to Anderson or Kickey Lake. Would be interesting to see and explore this area :)