View topic - Nueltin Lake flight

It is currently July 22nd, 2019, 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nueltin Lake flight
PostPosted: September 13th, 2017, 6:09 pm 

Anyone have any thoughts on the cheapest way to fly in (from any point) to Nueltin?

Post subject: Re: Nueltin Lake flight
PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 4:33 am 

Get in touch with Nueltin Lake Lodge. They have their own airstrip and during their season would likely have regular flights in and out.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 7:36 am 

Let us know what you find out.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 5:00 pm 

andrewlodge wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the cheapest way to fly in (from any point) to Nueltin?

Try Wings Over Kississing, they have a base in Lynn Lake and can handle external loads (not sure which aircraft). At about 350km it won't be cheap unless you have a group of 4 and can use their Otter.

http://www.wingsoverkississing.com/contact/

PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm 

I was last there in 2012, and they were functioning as a base for federal geologists. Maybe some way to hook in to the charters they use (used?) and piggyback up there. Lot's of helicopter flights surveying (I think working Kyyuk L.). I love Nueltin. I could spend the rest of my life exploring it. It's my favourite place on the planet, and yet I've only been in the North basin once. Talk to Nueltin Lake Lodge people, for sure, though.

Derek

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 12:21 pm 

As far as I know the lodge at Nueltin has not been operational for the last few years.

Alan

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 10:20 am 

Alan Gage: "As far as I know the lodge at Nueltin has not been operational for the last few years." Does that mean their outlying camps as Kasmere Lake, Windy river are also not operational? Do you have any other information? They were often used as a conduit for resupply.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 10:21 am 

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 11, 2013
Nueltin is obviously out of business

I attempted to book a trip for 2014. Emailed twice. Called three different times and talked with three different people over the course of 10 weeks. No callbacks. No mailed information. No Joy. I have heard many rumors about this outfit, none of them good. it's a shame since we really wanted to go there. We chose another outfitter on another lake instead. Do not believe the slick website and well-produced videos. Something is not right with this outfitter.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... toba.html#

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... itoba.html

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 12:12 am 

Bill Bennett's Treeline Lodge in early 80s When Dan Selig and I were there. Humble by comparison with what was built later. At the Narrows we found northern half of Nueltin frozen. Detoured to DeBartok Lake via Hearne Bay and carried to Dalphe Lake and then down shallow unnamed stream to Thlewiaza River. All down River from there. A guide named Charlie pointed it out and then shook his head with a worried look. We told Mike Bunn about it. He tried and had to walk most or all of it because of water level. So much for advice. If I remember correctly Luste was on our tail but paths diverged. The year must have been 1981.

Last edited by david demello on December 19th, 2017, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 1:48 pm 

I’ve heard of other canoe parties dealing with ice at the Nueltin lake narrows, and dragging canoes for two long 12 hours days.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 7:51 pm 

There was one year we made it to Baker Lake and found out many canoeists stranded on the Kazan or near there being rescued because of ice. I copied this message on a return visit. one we were on the S.W. side of Dubawnt Lake and decided to have breakfast before heading out. An ice island drifted toward shore and by the time we got up to canoe we had a mile carry along shore to clear the ice. Some ripped.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 11:16 pm 

Hey David...just curious...where was that note left?

PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 10:31 pm 

The same place I found Moffatt's note. It was serendipitous. Stopped for lunch, climbed the hill, found cairn and found the Moffatt note.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 10:54 pm 

That's what i thought...been there many times...I guided four summers on Dubawnt...south camp/west camp and outlet bay...thought it looked familiar...also spent four summers with Kasba working up as far as Ennadai....
not trying to hijack the original intent here, but for what it is worth Neultin 's reputation from a fishing lodge perspective was going downhill for years.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 11:47 pm 

The last time we were there we met an individual just at the outlet of the Kamilukuak river. He had just crossed peninsula to the east heading north. He thought we might be someone who had done the Kamilukuak River. a Kayaker. Don't know how he confused my Grumman with that. Told us of a portage across the peninsula. Didn't want to take it because most wind out of west. It was on the second trip in this area. How else would I have taken the photo! Sorry about the Treeline lodge. I knew the son Shawn. Worked as a guide for his father. What happened to father? A lot of work went into the lodges. Did the 2008 recession do it in? The Moffatt note here somewhere.