View topic - Berens River from Family Lake

It is currently July 23rd, 2019, 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 10:50 am 

Here's the trip my wife and I would like to do but we need help with a shuttle out. Our plan would be to take the train from Toronto with all our gear including our canoe (we've done that part many times for trips in and around WCPP) to Winnipeg. We'd need to be shuttled (Adventure Air or Bluewater, whichever is cheapest) to the dock and fly in to Family Lake. Then we'd paddle (over 28 days) the Berens to the new road. We need to be driven from there back to the dock and then to Winnipeg to catch our train back to Toronto. Flying out is not a good option, not only because of the expense but because, if the weather doesn't cooperate, we'd be stuck having missed our train. The problem is finding someone to drive us out. Does anyone know of an outfitter or a dependable individual who would be willing to do that? Our trip would begin sometime around August 2nd or 3rd and we'd need to catch that train back to Toronto August 30th. Any help would be most greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 1:15 pm 

I'm sure Bluewater will shuttle vehicles but I'm not sure about straight pickups. For a single canoe they are pretty pricey though. If you go with another outfitter, contact Charles Simard. He does vehicle shuttles but like Bluewater, I'm not sure about outright pickups. Charlie is a great guy and it's worth giving him a call. You can find his number at the bottom of this page:

http://www.qlakelodge.com/outfitting.htm

28 days seems like a lot for the Berens. We're planning on paddling the Berens starting July 16 at Wallace Lake (shuttled by Charles of course) and we're planning roughly a 21 day trip; 7-9 days for the Berens itself.

Tripping styles vary and Hap does say in his book to take your time on the Berens to allow for exploration; but if you cut some time off the trip you could plan to paddle another river in the area like the Manigotagan.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 3:51 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
I'm sure Bluewater will shuttle vehicles but I'm not sure about straight pickups. For a single canoe they are pretty pricey though. If you go with another outfitter, contact Charles Simard. He does vehicle shuttles but like Bluewater, I'm not sure about outright pickups. Charlie is a great guy and it's worth giving him a call. You can find his number at the bottom of this page:

http://www.qlakelodge.com/outfitting.htm

28 days seems like a lot for the Berens. We're planning on paddling the Berens starting July 16 at Wallace Lake (shuttled by Charles of course) and we're planning roughly a 21 day trip; 7-9 days for the Berens itself.

Tripping styles vary and Hap does say in his book to take your time on the Berens to allow for exploration; but if you cut some time off the trip you could plan to paddle another river in the area like the Manigotagan.

Thanks for this Neil, I'll definitely give Charles a call. Yes 28 days is a lot for that trip but that's how we like it. I'm very much into photography so I like to find great places to camp and scout them out to get a sense of the light and hope that over the course of day or two lay over everything will align for some great shots. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol:

PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm 

Well I sure I hope I'll have the chance to see those photos! When we paddled the Bloodvein, true_north posted photos he took as he travelled days behind us. It was pretty cool to see someone else's (better) photos and their perspective of a river from a similar time period.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 8:36 am 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
Well I sure I hope I'll have the chance to see those photos! When we paddled the Bloodvein, true_north posted photos he took as he travelled days behind us. It was pretty cool to see someone else's (better) photos and their perspective of a river from a similar time period.

We paddled the Bloodvein last summer (and got a lot of route information from true_north.) Spectacular river (although a little busier than we might have liked.) A photographer's dream trip. Got some great shots. Plus the fishing was crazy good.
By the way, I got in touch with Charlie Simard and it looks like he will be able to help us out and make the Berens trip a go. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.