View topic - Rice River to Kasakeemeemisekak Islands

It is currently July 23rd, 2019, 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2018, 3:28 pm 

Hello,

As you may recall, last year I was asking for insight into the Rice River east route. This year we decided on the shorter trip, west on the Rice River to the Kasakeemeemisekak Islands. I have a few questions for anyone willing to share their experience;

1. Is the launch spot convenient? Is there a beaten path? Will we have to get wet? Are there heavy currents (On Zoom Earth there looks likes good current at the launch)?

2. If we choose not to venture out to the islands to set up camp, are there decent flat sites at the river mouth?

3. If we do venture out, are there any specific islands to camp on?

4. Any fishing tips? (you can private message me if you don't want the whole world knowing your tricks)

5. When returning up the river, should we anticipate any issues paddling against the current near the rapids?

6. Any other info would be valuable.

Thanks,

Doug

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2018, 10:34 pm 

1. Is the launch spot convenient? Is there a beaten path? Will we have to get wet? Are there heavy currents (On Zoom Earth there looks likes good current at the launch)?

Launch spot is convenient. From the parking spot you can walk straight down the hill to the rapid at the bottom of the falls or walk the short quad trail to a nice calm put in. It was low water when I was there but I remember it being a little steep at the end of the quad trail so be careful. It was also raining when I was there so there was a little standing water in the parking area (grass) and on the quad trail. The climb out of the parking spot is steep so I took a run at it with my little Outback. My friend with his truck had no trouble even though it was very slick. Across the road might be a better spot to park but someone was camped there so I didn't check it out.

2. If we choose not to venture out to the islands to set up camp, are there decent flat sites at the river mouth?

There used to be a settlement there, so there must some flat areas. We explored one area but it wasn't a great campsite. It was very windy so we didn't check out many islands. Just went to one close to the mouth. If the wind is really bad (it's a dangerous lake!) there were one or two promising camp spots along the river.

3. If we do venture out, are there any specific islands to camp on?

Because of the wind, we only checked out the island we camped on. I believe it's the horseshoe island just SW of the mouth. Lots of space for tents and I have a feeling there are a lot of islands that would be friendly to camping.

4. Any fishing tips? (you can private message me if you don't want the whole world knowing your tricks)

I only fish on Pembina Hwy by the Quality Inn.

5. When returning up the river, should we anticipate any issues paddling against the current near the rapids?

Again, it was low water when I was there so there was no current to speak of. Hard to imagine how higher water will change things but I would guess that access to the pool where we put int / took out would accessible without going near any current.

6. Any other info would be valuable.

When we camped, we pulled our boats up onto shore and tied them up. By morning they were floating. The east wind pushed water away from the island so when things calmed in the morning it was like the lake rose. Maybe keep your PFDs, etc away from shore and tie your bowlines tight.

Paddling flatwater to some islands that are exposed to Lake Winnipeg winds is not my #1 pick for a camping trip but it's one of those places that feels special in a way. Maybe it was because my friend's family lived there (the reason for our trip), maybe it was the company; but despite bad weather we had a memorable night there and I definitely will head back.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 4:45 am 

2. I remember a large flat spot just before you get out to the lake on the right side. Looked to be a commonly used place.

4. Boats motor up from Manigotagan and other places to fish in the river. They can motor all the way up to the falls to fish for pickerel (walleye). Other than in the river, the mouth should be really good and any necked down areas like saddles between islands.

Karin

PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 7:09 am 

The road is in bad shape.

Not sure how long it will last but they're re-building the original road. When they extended the road to Bloodvein / Berens, they left the original road to loon straits mostly as it was. They are now laying down a new sub base and widening the road.