View topic - Quest for the bay . Com 2021

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 5:02 pm 

Oh no NOT another Hayes river to York factory thread !! Lol

Hello all, just wanted to pop in and say what I fantastic site you folks have here , well done CCR !

Long time reader, first time poster here, My name is Jerry Culleton , average 50 year old born and raised Manitoban daring to paddle the famous Hayes River from Lower Fort Garry Lockport Manitoba in the RM of St. Andrews, Manitoba to Hudson Bay Trading Post at York Factory, some 1200 km away.

Long before the television series by Frantic Films Quest For the Bay was conceived, I was looking to paddle the Hayes, and like most, those thoughts were just that.. thoughts. No way could I find the time to venture out on a 40-60 day Canoe trip while still being a Husband, Father and running my own Real Estate Company, impossible right ?

Fast forward 25 years, my responsibilities are all grown up and don’t need my constant attention anymore, the time is now , my time clock is ticking, so, before dreams become regrets, I’m going to check this one off the ‘ol bucket list ! Plus I want to draw some attention to a project I’ll be starting in the fall of 2021 to help our local soup kitchen during the off hours

“We’re all in this together - Help others if you can”

We plan to depart Lower Fort Garry June/July 2021, giving us ample time to lose a few pounds and prepare , I’m wondering if anyone else was planning a 2021 trip ? Would be great to know if we have people ahead or behind us

Drop me a line anytime at questforthebay.com

Jerry

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 7:43 pm 

Although I have not paddled the Hayes I would guess that during the prime season there are always a couple of groups on the river.

Any particular reason you want to start at Lower Fort Garry? Lake Winnipeg isn't a great place to paddle.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 10:45 pm 

Yes, I realize the lake isn't the funnest part of the trip, for me, 2 reasons

1. I live a couple hundred yards from the Fort.

2. Being able to paddle the same route from Fort to Fort is truly unbelievable.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 12:22 pm 

I know this group paddled the lake: https://www.facebook.com/journey4renewal/

We met them at the junction of the Hayes and the God's rivers. I know of someone from your neck of the woods who's considering a Hayes trip this summer. They would drop in on Knee Lake for a short trip though. Might be hard to time a shared jet boat ride outta York Factory.

Take a moving water course this spring with Brian (Paddle Power), he knows of more than one group that paddled the lake and the Hayes.

Personally, I don't think paddling the lake is worth it. It's a very dangerous lake. You could get windbound for long periods of time. People do it though.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 4:51 pm 

Thanks for posting Neil, I've read and respect many of your comments, as mentioned, the lake will not be the fun factor on this trip, on the other hand, taking the bad with the good is what the York men faced trip after trip. I don't want to rob myself later saying I should have run the lake. I only plan on going this River once lol

PostPosted: February 27th, 2020, 1:42 pm 

The Hayes River (Manitoba) is a classic historical canoe trip.
There are many different possible options. Something to suit most people depending on their preferences and limitations.
Fort to Fort is an excellent way to experience the trip. Lake Winnipeg is similar to many big bodies of water. Take your time, be mindful of conditions and changes and enjoy the beauty that only vast open water offers. That big experience will juxtaposition the river aspect.
Feel free to pm or email if you are interested in taking a moving water canoe course.