View topic - Leyond to Pigeon R / Family Lake connection

It is currently August 1st, 2021, 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 8th, 2021, 7:22 pm 

Hi, in 2017 I attempted to get from Sasaginnigak Lake to Family Lake, following the route on the Atik River, through Brad Lake, Eakins Lake and McMurray Lake. That route eventually leads to an unnamed lake that is part of the Leyond River. From that lake there is supposed to be a long portage headed to a small pond, and the route eventually goes towards Hanger Lake. The Berard maps have this long portage heading northeast, and it's noted as "Long Port - 2900 Paces - Ends on Rock Point", on the south end of the trail his note says "Port begins on Rocky Slope W of swampy bay".

I could not for the life of me find this portage in 2017. And I was curious if anyone has been over it recently? In the last 5-7 years. Is it there? I'd love a confirmation that it exists and I merely missed it somehow.

I ended up going down the Leyond instead. The forest where I thought the port should have been was really dense and the trees seemed spaced like prison bars, it wasn't old growth and must have burnt at some point, although maybe 25 yrs back. But cause of the density of the trees, bushwhacking didn't seem an option, especially cause it's a long connection to that little pond. I was by myself so I may have just missed it - all of the trails leading up to this point had been in great shape and were easy to find.

Hap also has it marked on the maps in his book, but he may have just gotten it off the Berard maps. The route eventually connects to the Pigeon just below Shining Falls.

Any thoughts would be great, I might want to go that way again, but only if I actually know there's a trail to be found. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2021, 1:43 pm 

I wish I could help more.
That's a long portage so I doubt it's still in use.

Did you look in the canoe atlas of the little north book?

Current satellite images probably aren't going to be of much use. I wonder if spring or fall images sans foliage would be of any help?

How about old aerial photographs? Might the portage be visible?

PostPosted: June 11th, 2021, 5:27 pm 

For all of the paddlers that use the Hangar Lake Porages it is suprising that no GPX file is available. I was on Brad Lake about 4 years ago and ventured north through 4 portages and cut anything in the way. There was little to clear and it was obvious they get enough use to make them easy to follow. I did not venture any further but had notes saying the portages to Hangar Lake were on the next lake after the exit to the Leyond River. I have been searching to no avail for current reports. On did have a Lat-Long but it put me out in the north Atlantic. I did find the Bing Sat photo much sharper than Google. https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=2c057bad ... orm=S00027

I pinned a few possible old trails. As in most of country like that winter snowmobile trails will stay in the open swamps.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2021, 11:07 pm 

Hi, thanks so much for the thoughts.

It is listed in the Canoe Atlas, as a 2500m trail, however it's not listed as 'red' route meaning the authors didn't go over it themselves, so I suspect the information also came from the Berard maps.

Even if I did locate it on old aerial photos... I guess I'm curious if it's still there right now.

Marten - yes, I also found the portages from Brad Lake in very good shape, in some cases they even had motor boats on the other end. So I got the impression the trails were kept clear, but maybe by fisherman.

The route to the Leyond was great. I just couldn't seem to connect to Hanger Lake. I won't be headed out till mid-July, so I'll keep checking here. Thanks

PostPosted: June 12th, 2021, 9:53 am 

You do not say where you are starting from but I have updated the GPX file on this report with alll I have on Atikaki. I think a shorter route to Family Lake would be using the Tea Pail Portage to Stonehouse Lake on the Bloodvein from the old channel of the Gammon west of Aikens Lake. Then the Sakakoneckum Portage to Kawasseecheewonk Lake a little east of Sasaginnigak Lake. I flagged and cleared the old high ground route for that portage a few years ago. For years everyone was slogging through a trappers lower bog trail for this shortcut to the Berens, Leyond and Pigeon Rives exiting Family Lake.

A warning for all following Hap Wilson's book for the Gammon River. Two channels exit Aikens Lake. The old channel that he took exits on the NE and can be too low to paddle many years. The Gammon River is the NW exit and the way you want to go. To get to the Tea Pail Portage you need to go east about 3k once you get to where the old channel reconnects with the real Gammon River. Too many groups have lost a lot of time using the dry channel for their trips in low water years.

The Northern Tier Scout groups use the Tea Pail portage a lot for their loop trips out of Scout Lake. The Sakakoneckum has a bad reputation but using the high ground route is a great connector to get off the over used Bloodvien River.

https://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/walla ... il-portage

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 2:16 am 

Hi,
in 2002 I did a trip from Red Lake - Bloodvein - Sassaginigak - Leyond - Family - Berens - Lake Winnipeg. The Portage from Leyond to Hangar Lake toke me 3 days. The portage starts on a steep slope about 10 - 15m high. 2002 there was a cairn, the trail was marked with signs (red ribbons) the trail and signs ended on a beaver Pond. No continuation could be found. We went back to the start. The next day we followed the trail again and searched a long time around the beaver pond but the trail and signs finished there.
On the way back we saw a other trail cut thru dense shrubs. We followed these trail it was the right way. The next day then we did the portage. In the wood the trail was passable, then we hade to cross a swamp after the swamp the trail was very rocky it was quite difficult to follow the trail. On the end was a other swamp you have to cross the swamp on the left in direction to a big white rock. On the exit from the pond is a beaver dam a small creek can be paddled to a other small lake there is a beaver dam to and behind is a very big swamp. No portage was found around the swamp so we worked us thru the swamp poking, crawling, and cursing. on the end from the swamp leads a short portage into the hangar lake.
If you wish I can send you my diary from this part (in german) and the maps.
I hope you can understand my bad english.
Franz

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 11:10 pm 

I know it's still in use. My wife and I had plans to use it in 2018 but decided not to with the low water. Some low water sections that are passable for some are not passable with our two hefty dogs with us.

We instead paddled upstream on the Berens then down the pigeon. On our way to put in on the Berens, we came across a camp group of girls who paddled the Berens and I asked them if they got to Family via Atik-Hanger and they did. A boys group also did that portage and paddled the Pigeon.

I still hope to get there one day!