View topic - North Shore Lawrence Outfitters

It is currently February 18th, 2020, 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 4th, 2019, 10:59 am 

I have had a good search online and this website for details of an Outfitter on the North Shore of the Lawrence but no luck.

It is our intention to run the Natashquan River from Oreway station to the sea this summer. I am part of a small team of experienced paddlers from the UK who are looking for something hard and remote!

We can fly the majority of equipment we need some the UK, including spraydecks but can not bring a canoe(!). Does anyone know of an outfitter or local who might be able to supply some equipment for us?

I had hoped to fly directly into Sept-Iles and organise a pick up from Natashquan locally, but we could get to Quebec and travel overland with the kit if need be.

All suggestions welcome! Many thanks, Chris,

PostPosted: December 4th, 2019, 12:28 pm 

I have done your trip (Oreway to Natashquan via the Romaine) in 2014 (2 solo canoes), it is certainly "hard and remote" but it is also a great trip.

I do not know of ANY outfitter in the area, especially any that would have appropriate gear available for rental. The closest outfitters I'm aware of are around Tadoussac but they are almost entirely kayak based as they serve the whale watchers along the St Lawrence. Last summer in Labrador I met a couple of paddlers from Havre-Saint-Pierre (between Sept-Iles and Natashquan), I can look up their info and try to find out if they know of anyone that can rent canoes but I would not expect much. Your best option might be to obtain boats and any other gear in Quebec City.

How many days are you setting aside for this trip?

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 9:54 am 

Thanks for your reply, we are making plans without outfitters but any help that might have alternative options would be great, thanks.

We are setting up for a 35-day trip. I would be interested in knowing your route from Romaine to Natashquan drainages. I have plotted a sensible, feasible route from 1:50K maps. I think the longest portage is 2km and not expecting a trail, I'd be keen to compare notes on that!

PostPosted: January 29th, 2020, 6:09 pm 

Chris

I'll contact you directly to share some info.

35 Days is doable but perhaps not "comfortable", I was on the route for 36 days with zero layover days, if I had control of the trip I would have added at least 4 or 5 layovers and cut down on the daily distance especially the part on the Natashquan below the NL/PQ border. Unfortunately my partner on that trip had an absolute, must finish by date.