View topic - La Vérendrye - Nicobyzard #33 - Trip report

It is currently May 21st, 2019, 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 8th, 2012, 6:19 am 

oh I am familiar with the blue barrel!especially being faced with a full one.....at an urgent moment.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: May 12th, 2012, 5:48 pm 

Circuit 33 is looking pretty good. It seems really short for a 6 day trip, but perhaps with the healing torn rotator cuffs this is not a bad thing. My only concern is that we will likely be 3-4 tents (2 or 3 man each), and the "bottom section" is long. From Nichotea to Lac Byrd is 23-26 km to a suitable sized site, and that includes about 2 km of portaging, so that makes for one very long day. Is the site or view on Lac Nicholas really so poor?

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 4:36 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
cheryl wrote:
Do sites on these routes have thunderboxes, or is it bring a shovel?

do you own a blue barrel? If so you will never regard it the same.
:rofl:

Sites do have a privy. Its a partially sunk blue barrel with a square hole cut out in the lid. There is no metal ring (THANK GOD). But one tends not to linger with the raised edge on the lid.
:o

Wow, wow.. You forget to mention the cut bottom of the barrel as well.
#16 rocks! I love that loop, we do it at least once a year.
But this thread is about #33, a great loop, especially if you can add the Eastern portion of #34.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 4:40 pm 

Route 16 was also on our list. But the way I had it worked out, we ended up with 2863m of portaging in a day (not good for recovering shoulders) from Baie Cox. Also, we will have 6-8 people (so 3-4 tents). If someone could help me make route 16 work, that would be fine too.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 5:28 pm 

The campsite on Lac des Deux Iles is wonderful. But just how many people are going on your trip? That campsite only holds two tents.

16 is fine for a two canoe trip.

Remember you cannot reserve specific sites. You need to have a backup plan in case some are taken. It does happen. Also there is a province wide holiday early in August when people get away for two weeks.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 6:11 pm 

i will be 1st week of July, and hopefully only 3 canoes and not 4. That is why I am concerned. It is a long way between 3 -4 tent sites, and I am not sure how accurate the ratings on that will be.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 6:32 pm 

cheryl wrote:
i will be 1st week of July, and hopefully only 3 canoes and not 4. That is why I am concerned. It is a long way between 3 -4 tent sites, and I am not sure how accurate the ratings on that will be.

Think snuggle. You can also do 33..and restock at your car at Grand Barrage and then do 34. Seems 34 has lots of three tent sites. There is one steep up and down. I have not done 34. That gives you something to do if 33 turns out to be just too dang short.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2012, 6:03 am 

Circuit 34 is a perfect 3 night/4 day trip. No problem with 3-4 tents on most sites. The posted number of tents per site is quite accurate.

Cheers,
MikeD

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 8:25 pm 

okay, so now you have me thinking. After looking at the maps, there are a number of figure 8 loops that could be done (the 30-34 looks good, with the exception of Myron Lake - our mud bath-depending on water levels)

PostPosted: May 20th, 2012, 2:09 pm 

So is it worth driving in to Nichotea and moving the vehicle to avoid the mud bath?

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2012, 3:40 pm 

CAn't help regarding the mud bath as I've not been through that lake recently (last time was in '75). I'm mainly familiar with circuit 34 as I did it last year.

MikeD.