View topic - Noire River Oct 16-24

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Noire River Oct 16-24
PostPosted: October 24th, 2010, 9:50 pm 

I just got back from 9 days on the Noire River. It was a great trip although water levels were very low and the weather varied from sun, windy, thunderstorms, downpours, sleet, snow, and freezing rain...lol a bit of everything.

The river was beautiful though and I had it all to my self since the moose hunt ended Oct 17th in that area.

The trip was altogether 190km and was supposed to be 12 days. I ended up moving a bit faster due to a few equipment failures (or mine depending on how you look at it) that really made paddling this time of year a bit harder at times.

Failers:
1)U.S. Military Winter Mummy Bag - too small for me and not warm enough.

2)Dragonfly Stove stopped working so I switched to cooking over open fire...I have a tough time with this during heavy rain or very wet conditions...something I need more practice with.

3)Footwear - I used gore tex hikers with two pairs of wool socks, discovered that when immersed in the water for ten seconds my feet would go numb...and I had a number of times where wading was neccesary.

4)Zipper busted on Tallula's rain jacket and I couldn't keep it together well enough...a drag since it rained a number of times throughout the trip.

That being said, I saw a number of different bird species including owls and partridge, heard wolves howling during a full moon night, and discovered what "Hell" portage is really all about...if I could think of a worse term for it I would....lol.

During all of this Tallula stood faithfully by my side and was a constant friend in the bush, I would do it over again in a second!!!

Also I HIGHLY recommend Expeditions Riviere Noire for a shuttle, awesome service by fabulous people!

Pics to follow after I upload them :)

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 5:50 am 

Quote:
...weather varied from sun, windy, thunderstorms, downpours, sleet, snow, and freezing rain...lol a bit of everything

...plus the "things gone wrong" - and still had a good time. :thumbup:
Looking forward to the pics!

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 11:48 pm 

Some pics of my trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46299842@N ... 139261009/

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 5:04 am 

Great pic's Sam, some nice country.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2010, 8:13 am 

Thanks Roddy!

Higher water levels would have made it perfect, after this summer I'm kind of sick of low water ;)

PostPosted: March 7th, 2013, 10:55 pm 

Nice pictures & you are a brave man.
You are right Michel & the drivers at Expeditions Rivière Noire are great.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 8:12 pm 

My son and I did the Noire in 2009. The water level was about 5' higher then, judging from your pics. The worst part about the portage from hell is that every time you think you're at the top, you round the bend and it continues on, but even steeper!! Did you camp on the sandbar?

Brad

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 8:07 am 

Thanks fellas!

Brad, I did camp on a number of sandbars. With the levels so low there were many very large ones! I paddled it mid April last year and levels were moderate. I will be back again this year hopefully taking my wife for her first trip down.

Between the Dumoine, Noire, and Coulonge, the Noire is my favorite.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 11:58 am 

Sam82 wrote:

Between the Dumoine, Noire, and Coulonge, the Noire is my favorite.

Ah the three sisters. My son has done all three, but I think he liked the Dumoine the best. He's more of a whitewater paddler and enjoys the big water. He's guiding on the Kicking Horse this summer, before heading to Nepal to do a 30 day paddling trip there. I enjoyed the Noire, but haven't paddled it's sisters to be able to compare. I think I would like to try the Noire when the water's a little lower and we could move at a slower pace. I'm more of a flat water paddler. Life moves fast enough, I like to slow down on the water. lol

Brad

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 2:22 pm 

Wow! Your son is living the dream! He would be a great guy to have around the campfire, I'm sure he has/will have some great stories to tell ;)

The Dumoine was very nice, I think I gave it an unfair low mark because it was very low when I paddled it. I'd like to try it in higher water. Just something about all that sand on the Noire that made it something else! Makes me dream about paddling the Lake Athabasca rivers someday :)

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 7:49 pm 

He sure has paddled many rivers in North America and Mexico. He was lucky enough to paddle the Rupert too, before it was dammed. That was an absolutely amazing river, before it was dammed. His was likely the very last generation to ever paddle it, unencumbered.
We only found one sandbar to camp on, when we paddled the Noire, but it was a great experience.
I wondered if the portage from hell could be avoided during low water, but from your account, it doesn't sound like it.

Brad

PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 9:40 am 

Hey Brad,

I can only imagine how paddling the Rupert must have been before it was dammed. I work with a fellow who paddled it and have yet to pick his brain on the trip.

That portage from hell can easily be avoided in low water. My problem was I was so cold that I did not want to do any lining, my feet were absolutely numb. If I had been wearing a drysuit or better footwear/socks I would have likely just lined down to the short portage....rookie mistake lol.

Take care

Sam