View topic - La Verendrye: Circuit 11 into Circuit 16 trip report

It is currently January 19th, 2021, 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 2:05 pm 

gcc_mtl,

These parts of the old circuits that are relatively close to Le Domaine and that are now not used are so for a reason. These areas were then logged without respect for the existing portage system. In some places the land was drained to facilitate the use of heavy machinery. Creeks were diverted. In other places feeder and outlet creeks were filled in to get the machinery across or make roads and culverts were not installed. Small lakes and ponds were also drained by changing the contours. All in all the landscape has been changed by human activity. Logging was done right down to the water line. I remember paddling one nice little lake with Ted that was completely stagnant, like scary stagnant. It smelled like acid. The old water line was much higher than the present one. It was probably now only fed with the rainwater. The creeks coming in and going out were certainly blocked.

When the park people came back after the logging to reinstate those routes they saw no interest in putting so much effort and money into routing people through clear-cut forests and spoiled lakes.

I personally think that other than self-gratification there is no practical reason to try to redo these old routes as we have tried with old circuit “D”.

If the park would let volunteers use chain saws to cut through the debris and dynamite to blast open some of the blocked creeks then maybe with the new growth and some time for the beavers to again flood the old ponds these routes could be recovered.

If someone wants to do something constructive for possible future use then they should explore the chain of small lakes West of Ruisseau Carrière for a possible exclusive solo circuit. The park has shown some interest in this project in the past but their funds to do it themselves were cut.

Gerald

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 10:59 pm 

"Another old one was Lac Emela to Lac Rettie under 117 and then into Baie des Rapides"

My wife and I used this old trail (in the other direction) in 2007 to access the upper headwaters of the Coulonge from Le Domaine. It was a piece of cake, easy to follow and had a couple signs still up. It seems like a no-brainer circuit from Le Domaine and then back through to Byrd from Nizard. It's a possiblility again for this summer, although I was also looking at the old route through Hamlet you were talking about. I'd be curious to know how rugged it is.
I've also been trying to come up with a reason to attempt the Lac Loche route, but I might put that off a few years. What I am curious about, and was going to explore this past summer until low water sent us on another route, is riviere Denain and Ypres (or whatever the name is of the creek that flows into lac Gustave on the Chochocouane). This second creek is shown as a lightly-used route on the 89? map, but the Denain is not, although it is a sizeable creek. Maybe too rocky? Perhaps next year I'll find out.

It's nice to know there are other L.V. old route explorer's/dreamers out there, planning away.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 11:01 pm 

One more...

Tomasine, in the southern part of the park? Is this a high-water creek? Anyone know much about it?

Dave

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 8:07 pm 

Hi Skookum Dave,
thanks for the notes on the Rettie route.
I haven't been near Tomasine in the southern part yet. I've glanced at it a few times but that's all. I can see the interest, Lac Embarass at one end and Lac Savary or Lac Tomasine at the other with both having road access.

But, those super close contour lines and numbers of rapids in between close contour lines pretty well scared me off as a solo trip. Sure looks like interesting country though. That's quite the cliff on the south-western side for a lot of it. It might be interesting to take a closer look to see if those marked rapids are serious or doable/lineable. On the other hand, it could be a one way only street with no real egress if needed.

cheers and glad to see another LaV fan.
Ted

Post subject: Rivière Tomasine
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 8:51 pm 

Wow, I just looked at my 1985 and 1989 maps of the Tomasine.
They show nothing but rapids - in about 20K, there is a steady stream of a few R1s, lots of R2s, five R3s, a few ledges and even a "danger" sign. What the heck is a ledge class 3 - a waterfall maybe?

It's now on my "DO NOT" list for solo Kevlar.

Enjoy
Ted

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 9:42 pm 

The Tomasine was run in the spring only and with plastic boats and bags. You would have to check to find out if it is still been maintained (cleared of sweepers, campsites, etc.). Here’s a link to part of the old route map.

http://192.77.51.34/~cleduc/Canot/04/To ... 9_1989.pdf

Gerald

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com