View topic - LaVerendrye 8 days solo August 2013

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 2:56 pm 

After getting my camping and fishing permits I headed N/W on highway 117 for about 130 km, then left onto route 44 for another 35 km to the bridge that crosses the Riviere des Outaouais.
Here is where circuit 70 starts, a circular route that done clockwise takes about 4 days. I also took a detour where Lac Cowasachouane (circuit 77) meets circuit 70 and headed south down towards Chute Henault and into Lac Henault.

I paddled a 15' wood canvas Chestnut Chum. I have had true solo canoes, but I consider the tandem Chum a pretty good solo tripper.

I encountered alot of rain, some big storms and some really nice days. I also met a portage/campsite co ed crew out for 10 days. They where pleasant and we had a brief but enjoyable conversation as they spruced up the site I was camped at that afternoon.

The fishing was good, I saw 3 canoes and about 5 fishing boats the entire trip. The boats where off in the distance for the most part and didn't really ruin the trip as far as solitude goes.

I encountered 2 canoes with 7 boys in them from Camp Nomininuge (sp?), nice boys and I was impressed by the way they left a campsite they stayed at.

Here is a slide show of the trip

http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/Beave ... noe%20Trip

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 3:18 pm 

Nice, peaceful pictures. Memories of summer.
Thanks for posting.
Ralph

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 3:53 pm 

Really nice pictures Robin. Your boat is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 4:11 pm 

Hey Robin,

I've never paddled LeVerendrye, but am always interested in having a look at peoples TR's. It's nice to see a cedar/canvas in the landscape for sure. Perhaps someday I'll add one to the fleet, but for now I think I'm temporarily "cut-off" as far as the Ol' Lady is concerned.

Any plans to get back up to WCPP in the coming years?

Mike

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 6:19 am 

Thanks for sharing Robin.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 7:18 pm 

Hi Mike, I'm not sure why my TR is showing up twice, maybe my old dial up connection is the culprit.

About the canoe, the way you take pictures, a cedar canvas is the way to go. And being Canadian, if I may be so bold, a Chestnut is the only real canoe you should be paddling. Just talking, not really serious.
That Chestnut Chum is such a great solo tripper, restore it with weight in mind and you can get it down to the low 50's. I think it was a cottage canoe originally, but lean it over a little and you can cruise all day with little effort.
I used a Chestnut Pal (16') for years, high 60 (lbs) to low 70's before the trip, get alot of rain and it was tipping high 70's trips end. But what a great canoe. I love the Chestnuts, got 5 now, looking for a 16' Prospector to finish the collection.

About WCPP, I think about the place almost every day, but it breaks my "fixed income" heart every time the gas prices take a hike come summer. What to do? Always looking to car pool, got a brand new truck.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 10:16 am 

Robin,

Quote:
...I'm not sure why my TR is showing up twice, maybe my old dial up connection is the culprit.

The duplicate thread was deleted and reply posts from the duplicate thread added in here. The duplication may have been caused by a temporary glitch elsewhere in the system, and not your dial-up connection.

Cheers, Rick

PS... I'm on dial-up myself out here in this God-forsaken land of broken rocks and frozen water, and I can't see your slide show. Some sacrifices will need to be made... at least I can kill trees whenever I want.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 2:33 pm 

Thanks for the fix.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 10:55 pm 

Great TR Robin, I love the traditional gear and attitude, and the destination. La V was on my old bucket list many years ago. Your photos and report has moved this destination up to my 2014 must go list. Thanks Robin, for sharing.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2014, 7:44 pm 

Thanks for sharing your photos. I'm with you on the pleasures of solo paddling cedar-canvas. Both La Verendrye and WCPP are high on my list.