View topic - Rocher-Perce - Perce Rock Gaspe Region, Quebec.

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 3:52 pm 

Rocher-Perce - Perce Rock Gaspe Region, Quebec.

This paddle location has been on my list to go paddle at for a long time, 49 years actually. :oops:

And I dedicate this paddle story to Mrs. Desmond my grade 6 teacher.

All you teachers pay attention here because you can make a difference in kids lives, I was never much of a student, but Mrs. Desmond was one of the best ones. She was from Edmundston, N.B. but she loved the whole area and she is the one who planted that seed many years ago. :thumbup: :clap:

From our place on the west side of the GTA Thunderbay is closer by about 100k than Forillion National Park on the Gaspe Peninsula so it is a long drive to get there.

We stayed in Forillin National Park because, well because Perce is a tourist town and frankly staying in a parking lot is not my cup of tea.
That said if you are only there for 1 or 2 days it might be worth it.
It is about one hour forty-five minutes from the park campground to Perce. Staying here gives you multiple opportunities to wait for good conditions to paddle around the rock or hike and paddle in and around the National park.
It was our 3rd day in the park when conditions became calm enough to head for out paddle in Perce.

When trying to get info about paddling there, I thought it would be easy…..I heard through myccr here you need a “licence” and besides that I got little feedback on the site.
The information on line was not much better and several emails gave me a bit of a run-a-round even though I was very specific about what I wanted to do, and even the best response was a link to an online flyer about outfitters and their rates with the quote “This is all you need to know about paddling at Perce”……… :-?

The marine forecast was great wind wise with winds only up to 10kph but it was going to stay overcast with a good chance of showers or rain, but with that gentle wind - BONUS! we where off.

When we got to the town we went to the information centre to inquire about where to launch to go paddling and they sent us to a great location on the north side of town and no mention of the need for any Lic. or having to having to have a guide. Bonus was parking was free, at the other lots in town there is a charge, but I am sure in the busiest times of year they charge here to because there is a booth.
With the forecast the info place was packed with people looking for activities for a “Rainy day” (yes that is what they were asking and it immediately brought up the Pizzaville commercial in my head… “It was a rainy day in Perce…. ) In reality it never really rained, we just had a few sprinkles.

Map of Put in and Where we paddled.

The launch!
Tide was coming in tourists where abandoning the sand spit that connects the main land to Perce Rock.
No wind, and small gentle swells. Perfect!

We had a technique for taking pictures one of us would steady the boat, paddle in the water, while the other got their camera out. Anne used her phone and kept it in a zip lock, the nikon J1 I kept in a small dry bag and my big camera I kept in 40L barrel that I would have to open and close for every photo. I had put on the camera’s rain coat so I would be ready for the rain, but quickly took it off after a few stops because fiddling with the set up was becoming a chore (and it never did really rain)

Ready to Launch.

Getting closer!

Paddling along this rock really is quite impressive, even 100m out from the edge and you had to go out further to get the whole rock in the frame.

We did meet a small group in sea kayaks on a tour, and the guide looked a little surprised to see us out there.

Lets just say that If I had been part of a group that moved that fast around Perce and not taken a little more time to drink in the atmosphere, especially with the ideal paddling conditions, I would have been ….. upset! :evil:

We took our time and basically just floated out there, the kayaks where gone and we were alone…. except for the visions and imagination of Champlain’s boat beside us…

We paddled up towards the arch and got this image.

We took some more pics and then moved out to take a short movie.
From the north side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqA8D8BoirQ

We had just put the cameras away when a tour boat appears on the far side of Perce rock opposite of us, they where moving at a good clip and kicking up a good size boat wash, but because to the way they turned around the L’Obelsque I was easily able to steer the boat through the smaller waves.

The arch and L’Obelsque from the north side.

Once around the L’Obelsque point and moving towards the south there was definitely an increase in the swell size not huge as it was still very smooth

From the S.E. Side
This clip is taken from the South east side of L' Obélisque
No stabilization added so you can feel the swells a bit because still pics make it seem really calm.
Watch Anne's hat on the the main land hills.
This was done with the Nikon J1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szz9IV_0y4w

Anne did a similar one with her phone, turn up the volume. In what is very weird and is an acoustical phenomena, you can hear voices. There were no other paddlers, tour boats or tourists stuck by high tide. Weird!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsUJTuLSE8Y

Rocher-Perce!

L’Obelsque

When we were on the north side there was not enough water to paddle through the arch, but by the time we got over to the south side (we were still at sight seeing tourist speed ) there was enough and it really is impressive to paddle through! So we decided to make a movie and the camera person (who shall not be named) got a “little bit” carried away, as it was very easy to be distracted by the sheer size of your surroundings.
So we named this…..

Perce Rock - the Star Gate Episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtLL_8d0FI0

We continued our slow float and stopped to where in low tide you can walk out to the rock and drank in our last close up view of Perce

We decided to extend our paddle and paddle along the cliffs that were once attached to the rock

I have to also thank my wife Anne for letting me take her on these “adventures,” I really do not have a giant bucket list of “stuff” I want to do.
But this was one and it meant a lot to be out there.
And being out there for almost 3 hours pretty much alone except for a few short minutes is pretty amazing!

Jeff

Album link
https://picasaweb.google.com/1142241160 ... directlink

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 6:46 pm 

was also in Forillon and at Perce this summer…wish the ocean would have let us get out at Perce…way to rough though!

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 8:32 pm 

raven4
It is just another reason to go back!
:thumbup:
Better to respect the water than run into trouble.
Sometimes it is better just to leave the boat on top of the vehicle.
I would go back, next time I would try for sunrise or sunset..... but then again catching the moon rising over Perce would be pretty special too!
Ohhhhh so many options
But no photo shop like many of the images is see online...
Real on your own, your own eyes is best!

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2016, 10:15 am 

Awesome! We had hight winds and storms the whole time we were at Perce and Forillion, and it is on my list to go back. If I never get tehright weather, at least I can come back to your video and see how it might have been....

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!