View topic - Canaan River

It is currently December 11th, 2019, 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canaan River
PostPosted: July 10th, 2007, 10:05 am 

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone has run the Canaan river. I was thinking about a run on Aug long weekend from where the Coles Island Rd passes over the river, to Washademoak. I cant find any info on this though. Anyone have any info on this. I drove the coles Island last weekend and the water looked high enough. It looked like an awesome run so I was suprised I havent heard anything about it. There were only a few spots that you can really see though. My father said he thinks that people do it. Apparently it was an old route to Fredericton from Peticodiac River. Any advise would be great. Thanks JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2007, 10:12 am 

Check out the forum at this site;

http://www.nanookofthenashwaak.com/index.htm

You might get more responses.

I've never done this river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 9:41 am 

You might find someone with info here too.....
http://www.canoekayaknb.org/Home.htm
That stretch has some low water issues later in the summer if memory serves but it has been a few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 1:35 pm 

Thanks guys, I spoke with a campground owner on the Canaan and he said that the run along the Coles Island rd is ok past the TransCanada Highway. Anyone ever canoe from the TCH to Washademoak/Cambridge Narrows??? Look forward to any advise... Thanks JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 7:11 pm 

Justin, done some paddling up the Canaan from Cody's to Coles Island but it was over 12 years ago when I still lived there. From memory it's a nice spot, few small side channels and small islands and that part of the river winds back and forth a few times. I've heard the osprey have been reintroduced in that area so bring a camera you may get a shot or two.

Done lots on the Washademoak, Jemseg, Bellisle and all that surrounding area. Awesome in the fall when the trees start to change color. My absolute favorite part of the East Coast actually, I REALLY love it there and plan to be back there with lots of free time to paddle in a couple more years when I retire. You have some really interesting flat water to paddle there, Gagetown is another great spot to head out from.

Another interesting paddle is the Neripis (sp?) River where the old river road from St John to Fred splits to Browns Flats. The Neripis is the small river that the Fred road follows for a ways. It's a bit like the Florida Glades with lots of overhanging trees... cool spot and fairly close to you.

Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 5:57 pm 

Although I haven't canoed too far beyond the 'Old Fredericton Rd.', I have canoed it several times above there. This river is very rocky and tends to run shallow in many places. A good rain 2 to 3 days before in the headwaters and you should be good to go, but it does get very low. With low water levels, I expect you would have a better chance nearer to the TC down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2007, 11:25 pm 

I poer boated up from the lake some years back this is a simple paddle