View topic - north lake, grand lake, spednic lake.

It is currently July 19th, 2019, 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 12th, 2004, 9:35 am 

leaving north lake on the am of july 28 heading for the end of spednic lake. we are figuring on 3 days but allowing 5.
if any one has paddled this route and/or has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated. ie. campsites, beaches, alternate portages etc etc.
i am familiar with north and grand lake. its spednic that is new to me.
appreciate your help and consideration

later
jp

Post subject: Spednic Lake
PostPosted: July 19th, 2004, 12:04 pm 

Hello Palmer
2 years ago we triped from Forrest City on Spednic Lake down the St. Croix River and camped our first night at Birch Island on the lake. It was perhaps the nicest site we stayed at and in fact spent 2 nights because the wind was fierse out of the north - we couldn't leave. We also stopped at Todd's Island and found it a hugh camping area even if quite open to cross winds. I would recomend Birch Island highly.
Carries Flute

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2004, 9:03 am 

thanks for the info.

we are actually sitting down one night this week and atempt to plan our campsites. but since both of us are MOVING water paddlers we are not real sure just how far we are gonna get each day. it should be interesting nonetheless.........

later
jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2004, 10:04 pm 

Hi,

This is a regular tripping area for us. I would suggest that you try to pick up a map of the lakes at the McAdam Tourist Bureau if you can. It gives all the camp sites and is a really good map of all the lakes and the St Crois River.

From Forest City you would do a short portage into Mud Lake, then after about 3 Km. you must portage about 1km. into Spednic Lakes. Mud Lake falls at the start of this portage - despite it's name - is nice. If you got someone to drive you you could avoid both portages.

From there it about a 7km paddle to the first camp site on the north shore behind Joe's Island. Not a particularly nice site but does if you are bushed. Birch Island (US side) is about 4-5 km further down and is good. The next one is Sandy Point (or the Ledges), some one had a weird sense of humor to call it sandy point - it is solid rock. It is, however the nicest sit on the lake, but busy. From there it is 8 km to the upper end of Todd's Island. There is also a site on the lower end of the island. From there it is about 6km. to the Spednic Lake park - always available. Then on 3 km to Vanceboro where the river portion starts.

Hope this is helpful.

Vaughn

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 9:00 pm 

I was just out there from July 5th to the 12th Solo in my Prospector. From where the road crosses North Lake to Blueberry point campsite was about 4 hours. From Blueberry point to Patterson Point was about 7 hours paddling. The portage over the dam takes about two minutes. The GPS said it was about 30 meters. The West Branch of the St. Croix or Forest City Stream should give you no problems if you are a river paddler but is a bit bumpy. Don't use the portages marked on the map to shortcut into Spednic lake. The first one is easy to find as you get to Mud Lake but is 600 meters and goes through a cottage property. The second one I couldn't even find. The one by Mud Lake Falls is only 300 Meters and takes about 5 or 10 minutes. The portage trail is left at the top of the falls, so stay hard left and go slow. Some one pulled down the portage trail sign, I put it back up on a rock (not sure if it stayed). The falls are literally 10 feet away from the trail and you cannot run them. The fast water below the falls is comparable to that above Mud Lake but a bit less bumpy. Once into Spednic Lake there are lots of campsites. I would say stay away from the one in Spruce mountain cove on the US side as it sucks. Push on to McAllister cove or Birch Island. I pushed on to upper Todd and made it from Paterson Point in 13 hours. Mind you; the whole trip I was exploring every little cove and stopping to take photos.
You can make it from North Lake to the Park at Spednic Lake in 20 -25 hours solo, probably faster tandem. If you take 3 days you will have a good trip, if you take 5 days you will have a great trip. The only advice I can give is get a map and bring a compass and be sure you know how to use them. Also a GPS is a great tool to have in East Grand and Spednic lakes as the terrain is confusing. Once down near the Todd Island if you have a GPS go to N45. 34.930 W067. 29.988 there is something interesting on a rock face you would not expect to see out here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 8:34 am 

yes the sign is still propped up on the rock leading into the portage around mudd lake falls. I was down there for the day swimming on saturday at the end of the portage.

hmmmm. you say something interesting eh? at the end of todds island........
going to check this out on saturday.

thanks
palmer

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 9:12 am 

Actually its across from lower Todd on the US side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 2:52 pm 

Hey Palmer,
In June I paddled solo from Modsley Lake to North Lake. My trip report is on the Nanook of the Nashwaak website. It is posted on the home page under "Chiputneticook Lakes". There is also a link to some pictures. The same report is posted in the canoe database of this website.
There is a nice campsite at the mouth of the Diggity stream called the "Diggity site". It is an ancient native hunting site.
There are campsites on Spednic at MacAllister Cove, Birch Island, The Ledges, Todd's Island, Big Island, Diggity Cove(mentioned above) and Spednic Provincial Park.
I think we exchanged e-mails last winter about my solo trip. Your help was invaluable.

Enjoy your trip,
Tom

Last edited by tgneal on July 29th, 2006, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2006, 8:04 pm 

Palmer,
I just realized this thread was started in 2004!
You probably now know more about this route than I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2008, 11:09 am 

It is still a wonderful trip, one of my favorite back country trips. I last did it a couple of years ago from North Lake all the way to the ocean in Lubec, Maine. And there are lots of exquisite and well maintained overnight spots on the Canadian side. Enjoy.
Reinhard
(If interested, check out my article " Three Lakes, Three Different Worlds" on my website www.zollitschcanoeadventures.com )

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 8:51 am 

Hey Reinhard,
I read your article on your website. The contrast betweeen the characters of the three lakes is quite striking.
I'm curious, how many days did it take you to go from North Lake to Lubec?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 9:15 am 

great question. how long did it take to get allt he way thru to St Stephen. I have dreamed of this for a while. Maybe this summer will be the year......

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 1:30 pm 

[quote="tgneal"]Hey Reinhard,
I read your article on your website. The contrast betweeen the characters of the three lakes is quite striking.
I'm curious, how many days did it take you to go from North Lake to Lubec?[/quote]

It took me 6 days from North Lake to Lubec on the Atlantic, including driving up there from Orono/Bangor, Maine and back home from Lubec.
Reinhard

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 1:36 pm 

[quote="Palmer"]great question. how long did it take to get allt he way thru to St Stephen. I have dreamed of this for a while. Maybe this summer will be the year......[/quote]

From North Lake to Lubec on the Atlantic took me 6 days. To Calais/St. Steven was about 4.5 days. If you are planning to do this stretch, stop at the custom's station, river right, at the head of the nasty/narly rapids - real gear eaters.
Reinhard