View topic - Pelly River - Faro to Dawson City - How many days.

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 19th, 2019, 6:02 pm 

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me on time of travel on the Pelly River from Faro to Dawson City. It is a 620km trip and I was wondering if an August trip would be doable in 10 days? or 12 days? I realize that "doable" is a bit vague. Would it require constant hectic paddling 10 to 14 hrs per day or would you be able to complete the trip at a steady comfortable pace for 8 to 10 hours per day.

Just a note to say that I would consider myself to be a intermediate paddler (though closer to novice than expert).

Thanks for taking the time to see my post.

Cheers all!

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 2:31 pm 

Do you have Ken Madsen’s book, paddling the Yukon?

Pelly River,
10 daysfrom hoole river bridge to Pelly crossing
6-8 days from Pelly crossing to Dawson City

PostPosted: August 20th, 2019, 7:16 pm 

Thank you Paddle Power. No unfortunately I do not have the book. It sounds like maybe 12 days from Faro to Dawson might be pushing it a bit?

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 7:09 am 

I think you will make it. Pelly Crossing to Dawson was four days for us and we were not paddling long hard days on the Yukon.

Pelly River crossing is km476.6 Dawson 751.5 The distance is about 275 km . To use 6-8 days you would literally have to backpaddle.. Normal mileage( kilometrage? ) on a lazy day is about 80km. Yes the river moves right along.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm 

Thank you very much littleredcanoe! I appreciate the info. Cheers!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2019, 12:32 pm 

Faro to Fort Selkirk was 10 days for us, with two lay days. The Yukon cooks along, about 7-9 k per hour.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 5:37 pm 

erich wrote:
Faro to Fort Selkirk was 10 days for us, with two lay days. The Yukon cooks along, about 7-9 k per hour.

Thanks erich, just want to make sure, are you saying that you made it to Fort Selkirk from Faro in 8 days of paddling + 2 rest days?

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 8:53 pm 

IAO, as I recall, that is correct. It may have been 11 and I will check We spent a layday at Big Fish Hook Rapids on a cobble bar on RL. We spent the day swimming, ferried to RR and climbed the hill opposite with wild raspberries. Second layday was RL at the bottom of Granite Canyon. If you are going to Ft. Selkirk, make sure to move to RL on the Pelly and ferry to RL on the Yukon behind a series of islands. You need a good ferry as the Yukon is fast and wide and Ft. Selkirk will "speed" by.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2019, 9:22 pm 

IAO, Just checked my notes. we paddled 356km, arriving at Ft. Selkirk on evening of the 9th day. We had mostly easy days. There were two lay days, one at Big Fish Hook and the other at Selkirk. At the bottom of Granite Canyon was short paddling day, which allowed for hiking the old CB to the east, which was why I thought it was a layday. If you need more info on camps, etc., I can let you know. Granite Canyon can be rated a III, but I didn't see anything but a big II with some standing waves to the II maximum of three feet. Routes were easy with some wood in sections. Looking back 12 years, it was a good trip with nice traveling companions. The river was interesting with changing topography. Not much hiking though, but a couple of interesting excursions. One of the best far north camps I've had was at Big Fish Hook rapid on RL just above the drop. Large cobble bar with lots of Dryas octopetala and good swimming. One of our party caught a big burbot there, called tishra by the indigenous people. If you see fish camps, make sure to say hello. If they invite you in for some tea and salmon, make sure you reciprocate with something...it is part of the tradition up north.There is or was in 2007, a good cabin at the confluence of the South Mac. It is used by the Selkirk FN as a training camp for the young people. Showing moose skinning etc. Always leave plenty of wood(more than you found)and some gifts like tea, or salt or sugar, carefully packed, and a thank you note. Let me know if you need more info.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2019, 7:49 pm 

Great stuff erich! I really appreciate the info as well as the suggestions to leave reciprocate a gift. Thank you very much for taking the time, it is really appreciated. Cheers!

PostPosted: August 29th, 2019, 9:35 pm 

You are welcome, IOA. You might want to change your signature. It is, "I am ount doorsy". If you see a fish camp on RR, below the bridge at Pelly Crossing, ask for Brian Issac. He and his wife Elaine were very welcoming when we were there in 2007. He is an EMT at the village. I have also stopped by a couple of times on the way through Pelly Crossing. If you find him, tell him the yank from Seattle that brought him some boots, says "Hello" and wishes he and his family the best. As well, if you make it to Fort Selkirk, ask after Don and Audrey Trudeau. Audrey is Selkirk FN and grew up in Fort Selkirk. Don is FN from middle Canada and has written several books. If he doesn't remember my name you can say the trip leader paddling with the guy who dislocated his shoulder. Don't push them to speak, as it is considered rude in the culture, but if Audrey is willing talk, she has wonderful stories about growing up in Fort Selkirk. They are very nice and sensitive people.

Last edited by erich on August 29th, 2019, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2019, 9:43 pm 

Oops...thanks erich, I fixed my signature now. Thanks again for all the tips! Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet some of them. Sounds like an amazing place.