View topic - Horton River

It is currently November 27th, 2020, 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2002, 2:06 pm 

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gunflint on 2003-01-27 11:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gunflint on 2003-01-27 11:12 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gunflint on 2003-01-27 11:12 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2002, 9:00 pm 

Rolf ... this would be a question for you. You paddled the Horton, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2002, 5:34 am 

There is a report on the Horton River in Canoeing Canada's Northwest Territories . A paddlers guide by Mary McCreadie .There is quite a bit of information there and if you haven't read this you should find the info useful . Scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2002, 9:11 am 

Quote:
On 2002-05-23 22:00, Richard wrote:
Rolf ... this would be a question for you. You paddled the Horton, right?

Yep, spent five weeks on the Horton. Had a great time. Be happy to answer questions.

send email to kraiker@bconnex.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2002, 5:24 pm 
We paddled the Horton in 2000. We had to portage about 5 km in the third canyon; figured we might not make the ferry over to
river left; once up, there's no way down until you come to a re-entrant in the woods.
There's a great hike close to the end leading to a hill overlooking the Arctic Ocean. Saw
one other person (Herwig Schubert from Salzburg) plus a tent from another group.
25 days on the river is really loafing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2003, 12:55 am 
Hey Gunflint: We did the Horton in 2002. Sea Kayaks, 27 days, lots of time for hiking, no portages, a little adrenalin in the canyons, several grizzlies, many caribou, wolverine, arctic char, grayling, Smoking Hills. Saw 13 other people on the river in 4 groups all European (why not more Canadians in the Arctic??). Rate the trip behind the Mountain and Nahanni, but better than the Copppermine or Keele.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2003, 10:33 am 

The Horton was written up in Kanawa magazine not that long ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2003, 8:31 pm 

The article says very little about the river that would be of help in planning a trip. I was quite disapointed. Pics are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2003, 9:57 am 

The Horton is one of a couple rivers we are looking at for this year. A stopper for me, is the logistics of getting there and back. This is the most remote river in Canada. Coming from the states makes it that much more difficult.
Although I like more whitewater than the Horton offers, the scenary and the remote nature of the river is keeping it alive as a possible trip.
Anybody have any ideas on getting there economically?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2003, 4:29 pm 

I don't think there is an economical way to get to the Horton. You can continue to paddle east to a community with regular air flights to save on flight costs.

If interested we are doing the Horton this summer and are looking for a few more people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2003, 12:55 pm 

We don't have the costs yet but I found out that there is regular C-137 commercial flights out of Edmonton which is only 1350 miles from home. So, with that in mind, we may be driving to Edmondton which will allow us to bring our own gear. Eliminating some air time and bringing our own gear will lower the costs a bit and make the Horton more appealing.
So, we are now tossing a coin with fairly equal weight between the Horton and the Dubawnt.
I like the Dubawnt because of more challenging whitewater and the chance to go to Baker Lake again. Last time in Baker Lake we were there on a Monday Holiday and everything was closed and we had to get out that day as my partner was already late for work and wanted to hustle home.
On the other hand, the Horton offers some incredible scenary, the northernmost tree line in N. America and the Arctic Ocean.
Can anybody add anything about either river to help us make up our mind???
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2003, 10:50 pm 

What do you mean by commercial flight out of Edmonton? Where does it go? The Horton does not start near any settlement so I doubt there is a commerical flight, but if there is, I'd like to know about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2003, 10:36 am 

My understanding is there are regular C-137 flights out of Edmondton to Yellowknife and then on to Inuvik. From Inuvik either a Beaver or an Otter to the River.
Hearing about this got me back on track to the Horton. Prior, we were assuming commercial flights all the way and then renting canoe and maybe other equipment. My Old Town Penobscot has one more trip in her as she is starting to Hog and is pretty much beat to hell. So, it may be a one way trip for the old work horse.
First Air is the airline out of Edmondton and we are waiting for rates, times, restrictions, etc. I hope to have that today or tomorrow.

Post subject: Frank Sinatra...
PostPosted: February 12th, 2006, 5:44 pm 

I ma thinking about paddling the Horton.
As I don't live far from you ,I was interested in what you found out about costs from Edmonton and on to the River.

Thanks
John

Post subject: Horton logistics
PostPosted: February 13th, 2006, 3:33 pm 

The Horton is expensive and there's little more to say about the price, except:

If I were to do it again, I would look at taking the commercial flight to Inuvik and then chartering to the starting point; this is likely the cheapest way if you start from the Whalemen. If starting from Horton Lake, I would look also at chartering from Norman Wells, as we did in 2000.

I highly recommend North-Wright; I was told that they are flying out of Inuvik as well as Norman Wells now.
I recommend Pakcanoes; we saved a bundle on the exit flight because Jan and Mary Edick had one. WCA members: You have until the end of February to get the 10% off offered by Paul (see the WCA site for details).
If possible, consider arriving in Inuvik to catch the Arctic fair (can't remember the title).
I'll try to answer other questions, but please read my report first; it's at CCR.

Yours in paddling, Allan