View topic - Anderson River Start Points

It is currently July 15th, 2019, 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 11:45 am 

I'm looking into paddling the Anderson River and was wondering if any folks have started from spots other than Colville Lake - it looks like you could maybe paddle from Fort Good Hope up to Manuel Lake and hop over to the Iroquois River, or start from Great Bear Lake somewhere?

Starting from Colville Lake, you get on to the Anderson pretty far along the river, as far as I can tell from the topo maps. Does anyone know what the upper section of the Anderson is like, and if it's worthwhile to see?

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 11:18 pm 

I am also looking into the Anderson river for the upcoming summer. though I don't have any specifics I read in one of my guide books that the Anderson river is quite small in its southern sections and that it is difficult to get to the actual headwaters as it starts off as a glacial melt stream. Let me know what you find as I am also interested in alternative start points.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 7:05 am 

You might find useful information under Anderson River and Wolverine River at
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 23&t=42069

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 4:57 pm 

A friend of mine started in the headwaters and talked quite fondly about this section. I myself did not want to invest more money into another aircharter. My 5 Cents to consider would be: the first part until you reach the Anderson from Colville Lake is not a dull or boring stretch at all! After Colville Lake it is small lakes and small conecting rivers = nice country. If you have got extra time to spent you may want to carry on from Wood Bay to Inuvik (or to be precise: the Dempster). In autmn with the colours out this section is an experience on its own.
Carsten

...and the rivers all run God knows where...

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2015, 1:13 pm 

My wife and I began out 1999 Anderson River trip at Colville Lake, and would do so again. Although good camping was often difficult to find below The outlet of Colville Lake, the area was quite scenic.