View topic - HTC Permits for Horton River?

It is currently October 14th, 2019, 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 7th, 2015, 4:59 pm 

I was talking to the Paulatuk Hunters and Trappers Committee today and was told that I need to get a permit from them in order to paddle the Horton river. I have never heard of this anywhere before, nor could I find anything about it online. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

PostPosted: May 7th, 2015, 6:08 pm 

If your trip is purely private and recreational in nature, I don’t think you should require permission.

The lower Horton and Anderson Rivers do flow through lands to which the Inuvialuit have title, as established in the Inuvialuit Final Agreement. The text of that agreement is available here:

http://www.inuvialuitland.com/resources ... eement.pdf

Section 7 of that agreement deals with access to Inuvialuit lands. By 7(14)(c), prior notification and permission is only required for recreational use if that use is “more than casual or individual in nature.”

Commericial or research activities on Inuvialuit lands have different access requirements. The intent here seems very similar to the approach taken in the Tlicho Agreement, which permits private, non-commercial recreational access to Tlicho lands without the need for notice or permission.

If you want to confirm this, you should contact the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation in Inuvik. Their contact information is here: they list a toll free phone number.

http://www.irc.inuvialuit.com/

-jmc