View topic - Kaleet River

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kaleet River
PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 2:54 pm 

https://picasaweb.google.com/112386034087934243075/KaleetRiver#5769837447361216354

Post subject: Re: Kaleet River
PostPosted: July 28th, 2012, 5:58 am 

i chose doing the Kaleet to the Barrow Inlet as an alternative to doing the back to the Chantley Inlet for logistical reasons not the least of which was small water vs big water. Low water was a potential problem that did not materialize. We found out later that one Jim Abel out of Boston chose to be lifted out because of low water near the headwaters. a couple days into the river made that condition a non issue. There was plenty of water. We had mentally prepared for walking to water, something we did when we did the Noomut out of Ameto Lake in the Henik Lake area. There we walked for 4 days before we found enough water. No doubt my pervasive spinal stenosis' originated or was aggravated under such conditions. The silty water was the single most unpleasant experience. We looked to alternative sources such as streams and ponds.
Once by Sherman Basin with its own interest we went up Weir Creek and followed the water until a crossover to the Squirrel River watershed requiring several carries, none long and all relatively easy. Plenty of water for lining a boat on the small sluggish waterways. The water was clear. After the Kaleet, that was a pleasant surprise.

There was a cabin on the left side of the Kaleet after it started to widen and also one on Sherman Basin to the right before entering Weir Creek.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2016, 9:21 pm 

just noticed. if the link is clicked just below the picture, maps and photographs come up as a slide show.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2016, 11:55 am 

As always I'm so impressed with your routes.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2016, 1:31 pm 

I would like to hear more! WCA Symposium perhaps?

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2016, 9:35 am 

All trips are magical, some are more magical. this was one. I'll see if I have more photos. Water level critical and it took 3 days before I was comfortable with that issue. Drinking water was another issue. A fine sediment gave water a light brown color and we were always looking for alternatives. also had to walk canoe at times in middle of lakes. half mile off shore and you're in 6/8 inches of water. uneasy about that. several times we had to force canoe over shallows which came out of nowhere, in the middle of a lake. Pleasantly surprised after Sherman Basin. Weir Creek had plenty of clear water which lasted until we started pond hopping to the Squirrel River. I had built in days of carries over that. If anything spontaneously combust in my brain I will note it here. one thing does and before it enters oblivion I'll relate. we got fogged in for a while and while waiting i placed pebbles at water mark. the watershed was noticeably draining. since this happened early on, it was a concern.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2016, 2:27 pm 

Sounds magical and mysterious at the same time.