View topic - Baillie River?

It is currently July 16th, 2019, 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baillie River?
PostPosted: January 21st, 2005, 5:10 pm 

hello all,

anybody been on the Baillie?

Looking at a trip that starts on the Baillie to the Back to the Meadowbank to Baker Lake.

If you've been on it, wondering about water levels around the second week of July and all the other descriptive stuff.

Thanks.

--
doughissom

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2005, 12:15 pm 

I don't know anything about it, but I'm already green with envy!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2005, 5:41 pm 

we were on the baillie on a trip from great slave lake to upper garry last year. i think we hit the baillie sometime around the end of july the first two days after moraine lake involved lots of dragging, wading, and carrying. after that, however, we found the river itself to be quite a treat. very little evidence of anyone on it, incredible scenery (no surprise there), and lots of fun rapids that slowly increase in difficulty allowing for a nice warm up. almost all are runnable in open canoes. also, the river remains relatively small compared with the back and so is quite an intimate experience. well worth the trip.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2006, 7:25 pm 

How long did this trip take you guys? Can you describe your general route? i'm interested in hearing some of the basic logistics to see if this trip would be appealing for the summer of 2007 and the time window (months/dates) you paddled in.

Always thinkin' of the next canoe trip,

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 12:50 pm 

Doug,

I think your timing is good.

I've done the Meadowbank to Baker section.

Do you still have my email address? Feel free to use it.

Brian

Post subject: Bailie questions
PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 1:57 pm 

Hmmm...

Brian, I am also looking for info. on the Bailie trip -- were you in the group that started at Great Slave Lake? I would appreciate any itinerary/route (e.g. number of days, time frame, general route) and logistical advice (where did you fly into/out of?) you can offer.

Thanks much,
Becca

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 7:19 pm 

hi,

when we did the baillie we started at reliance which has boat access from yellowknife on great slave lake. i can't exactly remember how many days it took us to get to the baillie, but it was quite arduous. the first three days from moraine lake onwards were a hard slog because of rock gardens, etc....there's just not much water higher up on this river. after that, things really improve and you can go very fast or very slowly, depending on your taste. it is an incredibly beautiful part of the region. there's lots of rapids but all runnable (if i remember correctly) in an open boat. the river is quite small. once on the back, volume obviously changes drastically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 7:20 pm 

hi,

when we did the baillie we started at reliance which has boat access from yellowknife on great slave lake. i can't exactly remember how many days it took us to get to the baillie, but it was quite arduous. the first three days from moraine lake onwards were a hard slog because of rock gardens, etc....there's just not much water higher up on this river. after that, things really improve and you can go very fast or very slowly, depending on your taste. it is an incredibly beautiful part of the region. there's lots of rapids but all runnable (if i remember correctly) in an open boat. the river is quite small. once on the back, volume obviously changes drastically.