View topic - Back river info

It is currently July 16th, 2019, 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Back river info
PostPosted: February 12th, 2004, 12:52 pm 

I m looking to paddle the Back river this summer 2004, and finish at Baker lake. I know that the Baillie and Meadowbank, will bring me there. Is there another river(s) to get me to Baker lake. Im looking at a solid 38 days. Im paddling with 2 trippers. Also are there any better starting points then Artillary lake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2004, 4:47 pm 
Depending on when you plan to begin your trip, starting at Artillery Lake may present ice problems, as you then have to travel through some pretty big lakes (Clinton-Colden, Aylmer) right off. I paddled this river in 1997, starting July 5 on Muskox Lake. We had no ice there or anywhere further down, but I recall seeing ice on a number of larger lakes as we flew over. I also have the impression that this was a warmer than usual summer. You're going to be out for a long time, so you have to strike a balance between starting too early and finishing too late. Minimizing the risk of getting stopped or seriously slowed down by ice is one way to widen the margin for error you need for things you can't control, like the possibility (near-certainty, actually) of being windbound at times.