View topic - Fall landscape tips

It is currently August 20th, 2019, 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fall landscape tips
PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 6:59 pm 

Or mistakes (que music) I've made a few.... 8)
I am a long way from an expert put with colours just weeks away it is time to get ready.
I learn alot from trial and error, taken a few courses, but alot from the internet and talking to other photo people.
So here is a few tips so that you can show and save your fall memories.
When taking a landscape shot try to remember that the conditions may vary in different locations of the area your want to capture.
Example, it may be quiet and sunny where you are but it may be windy or shadowy elswhere.
You still want to have your F stop at 16 to show depth but down to 8 may work with your camera and conditions.
So make sure your ISO or shutter speed is at a fast enough speed for the area so you don't get a blurr effect.
This pic 2 years ago I could not figure out what I did wrong,
(looked great veiwer... :oops: )
until I remembered that where I was sitting was sunny and out of the wind, and the camera sensors where not picking up the area so well that I wanted to show, (light cloud cover and windy)
Boom = blurr
Lasst year I knew it was very windy, and I was trying to capture how the wind and clouds where making the hill look on fire,
And with a simple editing program I was able to "lighten" in the shadow area in the forground where the rock is.

Another thing to remember is the lens and your camera may pickup more area than what your eye sees and what you desire in your pic.
Don't junk the pic, try to crop it and see if it captures what you want.
I was getting ready to scrap a lot of pics until I wa asked to supply a 8 x 8 for a fundraiser, I had a pic of a Turkey vulture that because of the light, looked like a shadow, that as a big pic was :-? , but cropped was tremendous and it got 45 bucks at the auction. So I had to rethink how I was looking at my pic collection.
So I hope this helps and anyone else chip in.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Post subject: Re: Fall landscape tips
PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 4:07 pm 

I should have read this post before going to New Brunswick, but alas the Fall Colours are wild and vivid.

I just felt amazed.

I don't know if the picture size does this justice, I trimmed it but have yet to do any editing, should I find the time.....

Here is another one showing the landscape of colours, the camera or maybe me just maybe hasn't got the right mix in the shot. I took this just out of the car, quick snap, it was a spot where my grandfather cooked for the men who worked on this dam. As you can see the day was not the greatest, we had some moments when the rain stopped while there, but not many.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 11:23 am 

Georgi
That looks like the Mactaquac dam!

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken

PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 5:14 pm 

Yup, it is....

The Georgi clan ( parents) comes from the area and many parts of the NB has em' scattered about or history has shown Georgi's family tree
spreads all about from Chipman, Minto, Fred., Moncton, a few places I couldn't spell and a few places no longer in existance, I'd have to look back in the family tree, she's bigger than a trunk! :wink: and I think our ancestry goes to 1864 in NB with possible ties to Quebec maybe even a few unknown rich relatives!

( Sorry, a little Georgi history side )

Anyway, yup the Mactaquac bridge was the main focus as well as the background hills with all their fall colour was my intentions. I'm going to have to play with it to bring up the background, its the only shot I got off that was worthwhile.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]