View topic - Sanyo cameras

It is currently August 24th, 2019, 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sanyo cameras
PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 5:59 pm 

Any one using Sanyo waterproof cameras?
Any comments on how they compare to the varies point-and-shoot water still cameras?
Any other thoughts on Sanyo's two waterproof dual cameras?
VPC-WH1
http://sanyo.ca:80/Dual-Cameras/VPC-WH1-Waterproof-HD-Digital-Video-720p-30fps-

VPC-CG10
http://sanyo.ca:80/Dual-Cameras/VPC-CG10P-HD-Digital-Video-and-10MP-Photos

Post subject: Re: Sanyo cameras
PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 7:38 pm 

You can see some pics from the VPC-E2 in the thread 'A couple of shots from the VPC-E2'. I can't compare with other waterproof cameras. The quality of the pictures is all right although I find the Nikon Coolpix L20 offers somewhat better crispness at 10MP (VPC-E2 is 8MP).

The video quality is on the low side at 640x480. I use it mostly for stills. There are a lot of settings to play with, much more than the Canon. All in all a good one. I got 3 cheap 720 mAh batteries off the internet (don't get the expensive lower capacity Optex at Henry's) since the unit draws quite a lot and that's good for about 6-7 days tripping, depending on how much you use it.

The VPC-WH1 that you mention seems quite good although I suspect in a totally different price range.

(Edit: well, it doesn't seems so great with stills of only 2MP)

The VPC-E2 fits in a pants pocket. It also can record audio notes, making it useful to take short notes here and there during the trip. I haven't dunked it water, yet. The VPC-E2 has a 12MP mode which I made the default. I'm not sure what it means exactly since the unit is only 8MP, but it gives more of something I guess. I use a 8GB SD card, so no problem with space.

(Edit: I might add that the shape of the VPC-E2 camera needs some getting used to at first)

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 1:30 pm 

Thanks for the info.

The VPC-CG10 does have higher recording of images & video. It goes with less amp batteries and uses more power, both on the down side. Plus, as mentioned, it takes getting used to the different shape.

I'm wondering about replacing my Pentax Optio with the Sanyo?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 5:26 pm 

Interesting that virtually none of the most popular camera review sites don't list any Sanyo cameras. The ones that do only have older models and for the most part are not too complimentary.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 4:42 pm 

So far so good. Got it this summer after the Nikon Coolpix got too much rain and sank, metaphorically speaking. I was looking at a waterproof Optimus but reviews were saying that the on/off switch was too easy to flip. Not that many waterproof cameras out there in the $300 price range that are easily available at a nearby store.