View topic - Adirondack fall pics.

It is currently August 21st, 2019, 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Adirondack fall pics.
PostPosted: October 27th, 2009, 5:17 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

I took a hundred pics from a fall hike and chose the best 12.

As a result I'll spare you the 88 so-so (out of focus, under exposed, uninteresting etc. etc.) photos. Enjoy!

Last edited by Anonymous on October 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved to Photography Forum

PostPosted: October 27th, 2009, 5:25 pm 

Can't see anyone left wondering why you do it. Awesome.....

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 6:01 am 

See how just a bit of 'sigmoidal contrast' (whatever that is) does. The idea is to know when to stop. It adds a subtle touch of drama by darkening the front, hence bringing forth the clouds.

Orignal:
Attachment:
0005.jpg
0005.jpg [ 72.85 KiB | Viewed 2037 times ]

Caribou:
Attachment:
0005a.jpg
0005a.jpg [ 64.22 KiB | Viewed 2038 times ]

(edit: hopefully fixed all typos)

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 6:26 am 

As usual Neil, fantastic pictures. :clap: Our trip to the Adirondacks earlier this summer was great, except for severring an artery and nerve in my hand.

Brad

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 7:48 am 

Will be heading that way for 5 days in 2 weeks :thumbup:

jim

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 8:03 am 

carcassonne wrote:
See how just a bit of 'sigmoidal contrast' (whatever that is) does. The idea is to know when to stop. It adds a subtle touch of drama by darkening the front, hence bringing forth the clouds.

Interesting that you picked that one. I feel it has a big weakness in the quality of the selection which shows even more with the changes you made. There should be a way to improve the border between the foreground ridge and the background. As in, starting over. :lol:

I find the background is a bit too blue now.

I find that with scenic shots with waves of mountains and valleys and vegetation that the devil is in the selections.

Are you using the full version of PS?

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 9:44 am 

Stunning pix... to have been there at such a moment.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 12:39 pm 

Hiker Neil wrote:
Interesting that you picked that one. I feel it has a big weakness in the quality of the selection which shows even more with the changes you made. There should be a way to improve the border between the foreground ridge and the background. As in, starting over. :lol:

There you go. Another reason to go back.

Quote:
I find the background is a bit too blue now.

Yeah, but that's relative. Someone right beside you at that time might not have perceived the blue colours like you did, after all.

Quote:
I find that with scenic shots with waves of mountains and valleys and vegetation that the devil is in the selections.

Even after a second time of you mentionning selections, I don't know what you mean. Do you mean the framing of the elements, of the scenery ?

Quote:
Are you using the full version of PS?

PS ? As in Post Scriptum ? :-)

Anyways, no, I'm only using Open Source tools, free of charge. That's how I make music, edit movies, record TV shows, and occasionnaly pic on somebody else's photograph. And oh, that's how I earn a living too.

Please let me peddle that just a tiny bit. Sorry for the inconvenience. The devil makes me do it.

Digital Audio Workstation: Ardour
Movie editing, compositing: kdenlive
TV recording:MythTV

And,

Quick (as in: I don't want to learn that) occasionnal photograph 'picking': ImageMagick

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 2:16 pm 

By selection, I mean dragging the mouse over a portion of the picture and selecting only that portion, copying it into a layer of its own and then working on just that layer.

In this pic:

http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor%20 ... a/0000.jpg

I worked on the sky and the foreground rocks as separate layers in order to tweak them.

The only program I know is Photoshop Elements.

Btw, I appreciate your interest. :D

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 2:34 pm 

Quote:
I worked on the sky and the foreground rocks as separate layers in order to tweak them.

Neil, can I request a link to the un-tweaked version? Be interesting to compare.

After reading your explanation above I went back to the original 2 and got a far better "feel" for your efforts with the program. Really nice job. The blues in the lower, although obvious, still look natural, at least to an image program rookie like me. :oops:

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 3:27 pm 

Well Hiker Neil it looks like you shoot like me :doh:
And what I mean by that is of what you see.... :wink:
The chances of haveing the right light, colours, sky clouds.....are very remote, which is why we have to go back and start again
:thumbup:
Which means you probably take a lot of pics when you go too 8)
I do not like to "tweak" my photo's very much, but the bonus is when someone follows in your footsteps because of your pics, when they get there, they are not disapointed.
I do play with my pics, sometimes the special effects come out real neat, but I also "change" some photos mostly when someone retires at work or a special event.
What that does is give you great practice of removing dust spots on your sensor, hairs, water spots that where on your lens and so on.
So it is nice to be true to yourself Neil.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: October 31st, 2009, 3:36 pm 

Hiker Neil wrote:
By selection, I mean dragging the mouse over a portion of the picture and selecting only that portion, copying it into a layer of its own and then working on just that layer.

OK. I'm certainly not at the place now where I select things out of a single photograph to work on it. I could use the free GIMP (Wikipedia) which is told be be like PhotoShop, but only free, but that's an awful lot to learn for me and time to spend which I don't have. So I prefer to simply apply global filters and try to frame it good on-site :-)
Quote:

Nothing to do there :-) I do not feel at all an urge to sigmodial-contrast (whatever that is) it.

Here's one with a slight Hallow'en feel, on which I've only adjusted some contrast. I've made the mods on the full scale pic, so it looks not as well when downsized to fit the forum. Devil, man!

Attachment:
devilLake.jpg
devilLake.jpg [ 222 KiB | Viewed 1952 times ]

(edit1: I feel there's too much emptiness on the upper left, though)

(edit2: I'm not familiar with resizing pics, and after a test I replaced the firts one, which was 200KB but small with this one, saved at a lower jpeg quality, which makes it larger while small in size. OK. that's it.)

PostPosted: November 1st, 2009, 3:28 pm 

All the before pics (and some others) are here:
http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor%20 ... index.html

The "new and (hopefully) improved" pics are in this link:

http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor%20 ... index.html

If I think it's worth the effort I'll spend as much as half an hour on a single pic, leave it for a few days, return, tweak some more stuff.....

My goal is always to keep it real and faithful to the original. So it looks like a real picture, not something that has been photoshopped. Just by adjusting the "levels" a small amount you improve upon what the camera captured.

Unless, as in this thread I'm doing it on purpose:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/show ... php?t=8559
(see post 20 as well)

PostPosted: November 1st, 2009, 3:47 pm 

Thanks, you can see the difference just in the pop-up's before expanding the page. Beauty shot's, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2009, 3:52 pm 

Hey Neil!
How come in your "other" avatar pic you look the clean, refreshed outdoors type?????
And here where you now wield great power ( 8)
you look like ..... (you know those refined people at the intersections in T.O )
:rofl:
That's why I use a dignified looking eagle.... :wink:
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho