View topic - Looking for new camera - suggestions?

It is currently August 24th, 2019, 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 25th, 2010, 9:20 pm 

I need to buy a new camera, something I could be happy with for several years. The major requirement is that camera MUST be able to run on AA batteries, if not directly, then with special "additional handle" (not sure what the correct expression for it is).

I like very much Lynette's Canon Powershot SX100 IS, but we should not have the same camera and it is out for couple of years now, so I am sure there are better options.

I picked from SLRs Pentax K-x. That seems to be exactly what I want, but... SLR has its disadvantages - it is bulky, for zoom I would have to use (and carry) different lenses, weight would also be concern. And also, I like being able to take picture fast, just pull it out from the box and shoot; LSR won't be a fast camera.

Guys, give me some suggestions from high-end point-and-shoot cameras.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 1:09 am 

Hi Wolverine.

I finally went digital last year. I didn't want to go SLR complex and wanted to stick with AAs. I bought a Canon SX10 is and was very happy with the results last summer. A good review of it vs others is found here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/

The long zoom is handy, but I particularly found the 28 mm equivalent wide angle great for scenery. Battery life was good.

This model has since been upgraded to 12 MP from 10 - it is now the SX20.

I'm sure there are many good cameras, but this one might be worth a look.

-jmc

PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 3:07 am 
CCR Site Administrator

Last summer I bought the Canon Powershot SX1 IS, which is very similar to the SX10 that jmc described - I also did not want to be carrying around extra lenses but wanted a very high quality camera with a big zoom. It has a 20x zoom (28mm-560mm), can take full HD movies at 16:9 ratio - 1920x1080 movies at 30 fps, uses 4 AA batteries. It also has a CMOS sensor instead of the usual CCD plus a kazillion other features.

There are many reviews for it such as:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/defa ... ershot+sx1

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... ot_SX1_IS/

Have fun camera shopping! I love mine!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 4:54 am 

I have the Canon SX20, haven't had it long but I think I'm going to be happy with it (I'm replacing an SX2).

I bought primarily for the zoom and video capabilities and also because like you I wanted a camera that ran on AA batteries.

One problem with it that I had heard and can confirm....the lens cover SUCKS big time. the lens cover on the SX20 was great, turn the camera on and it would fall away as the lens extended, not so with the SX20 which is finicky even if you have small fingers. I haven't had the chance to use the camera in the field so I don't know how much aggravation it will be.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with the results so far and liked the fact that the controls are very similar to the SX2. I do like the multi shot mode, seems to be much easier to use than the SX2 version, think it's going to be great for ww action shots.

I haven't been able to test the video to any extent since the latest Canon software can't be installed in my prehistoric o/s (Win2k) and it would appear that you must download the video using the Canon software.

$420 at Future Shop seems to be the going rate.on a regular basis.

I looked at SLR's but decided it's more complex than what I need or will use. The SX20 is bulky, thinking about getting something small and perhaps waterproof (resistant) for shots on the run.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 12:26 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

recped wrote:
I have the Canon SX20....

.....One problem with it that I had heard and can confirm....the lens cover SUCKS big time. the lens cover on the SX20 was great, turn the camera on and it would fall away as the lens extended, not so with the SX20 which is finicky even if you have small fingers. I haven't had the chance to use the camera in the field so I don't know how much aggravation it will be.

I can also confirm about the terrible lens covers - the SX10 (&I presume the SX20) & SX1 IS are pretty well identical in shape & look & have the same totally useless lens cap. Mine wouldn't even stay on!! I immediately replaced mine with an old Nikon cap I had around & also attached one of those strings from the cap to the camera since if I set the cap down, I am likely to lose/forget it.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 2:35 pm 

Canon Powershot D10 (waterproof)

I have my eye on one of these. Would be nice to have something waterproof to put in a life jacket pocket, rather than having to stop and open up the pelican can for the DSLR every time a photo op presents itself. But it is nearly $300 clams.

cheers
dave

PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 2:43 pm 

ice-breaker wrote:
Canon Powershot D10 (waterproof)

Nice, but special rechargeable battery - that automatically disqualifies it for my purposes. :(

PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 4:19 pm 

We just bought an Olympus SP-590UZ. We've only had it about 2 weeks, but we like it so far. What swayed us to the Olympus was it was compatible with the Olympus TCON-17, a 1.7x teleconverter lens (I think that's the right term), which we already own.

We originally had a Fuji (can't remember the exact model) with a 10x optical zoom that took AA batteries, and we really liked it. Problem was it was always stored in the Pelican case, so we missed many shots because it was too difficult to get it out. So, we bought one of the Olympus compact water/shock/crush-proof cameras. It's great for taking anywhere, but we missed the zoom from the old Fuji.

So, good - 4xAA, IS, 26x optical zoom, compatible with TCON-17

Bad - Annoying, slow, flaky XD cards (but it does come with an adapter to take MicroSD cards), feels a bit on the cheap side.

My $.02

Thanks,

Brian

PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 10:06 pm 

Quote:
feels a bit on the cheap side.

This is a comment I see frequently regarding Olympus cameras.

Quote:
I immediately replaced mine with an old Nikon cap I had around & also attached one of those strings from the cap to the camera since if I set the cap down, I am likely to lose/forget it.

That's my plan as well.....unfortunately I don't have a handy old cap to use :(

PostPosted: February 27th, 2010, 10:17 am 

Wolverine,

Not sure why you want AA? I travel with a Canon SLR (30D) and point and shoot (G7) with camera's rechargeable lithium batteries and have never had a problem. Yes more way expensive in the short term, but absolutely dependable in my experience. Last summer with the road trip to Yellowknife and a 36 day on-river trip, I think I was in to my third or just barely into the fourth lithium battery on the 30D after about 2700 photos. I brought 5 lithium batteries with me (3 Canon and 2 Ansmann for much cheaper, but still as good so far), so there were no worries. Never touched the G7 with 3 batteries brought along, and they were still retaining their charge long after I got home 9 weeks later.

I estimate you can go 2 months with Canon Lithiums with high confidence, get many more photos per battery. The weight and bulk issue depends on how you store your batteries and cards. I used a little pelican case for the batteries and cards, since it was a whitewater trip.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2010, 10:59 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

HOOP_ wrote:
Not sure why you want AA?
I echo HOOP's post about batteries. Get a few Lithiums and you're in business. After researching it more than as if I was buying a car I went with the Canon G10 (now they have the G11). I don't know if you want a reflex vs. a P&S camera but most of the serious photographers I know who own a reflex camera also own a Canon G series. The picture quality is very high.

Quick aside on purchasing: I found the best price for my G10 at a small specialty camera shop, not on the internet, even on-line stores based in the States.

However, the accessories in the shop were extremely expensive. For example, my spare lithium battery cost me $23 US (no tax, free delivery) on the net whereas my camera shop was selling it for $85 plus PST and GST.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2010, 12:16 pm 

I do about 3000 photos per trip, plus some videos. Price of rechargeable special batteries scares me - about $80 per piece. Several years ago, Lynette had to buy about 4 spares just to keep her through the trip, and soon after the trip her camera died and those batteries don't fit any newer type and now sell for about $0.50 on eBay. So her cost in batteries was about 4x$80=$320. My cost in lithium AA batteries was about $8.00.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2010, 6:20 pm 

Hi Wolverine

I too have the SX100is, nice camera, but I miss the view finder and fact that it has a fixed LCD screen. Like others have already said, you're probably looking for the SX20. Check that one out.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2010, 11:18 pm 

I shoot a canon G7. Its an awesome camera. Pretty compact full feature point and shoot. It has basically every feature that you would need on a trip including full manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, a ton of pre-set settings, ISO dial, manual focus, and everything else i can think of. Theres also a pretty sweet ikelite housing built for it. (if your into diving at all) Unfortunately, it doesnt take AAs, only the rechargable specific for the camera.

I dont think rechargables arent that scary. I picked up a battery box thing about the size of my hand for around 50$ from circuit city. It has 2 USB plugs and a regular wall plug on it. I brought it on a 21 day trip last summer, and recharged my camera as much as I wanted and didnt have a problem. Maybe you should look into something like that?

This is the one I got
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com ... le-100.jpg

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 10:31 am 

specialty batteries can be found for relatively cheep on eBay. Got a couple of them for my canon 400d at $10 a piece they hold a charge as long as the $80 ones that say canon on them.