View topic - Looking for new camera - suggestions?

It is currently August 24th, 2019, 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 7th, 2010, 2:02 pm 

Wolverine et al.....

I highly recommend batteries from these people. I know a few dozen photographers that buy from them, and all claim that they are as good, or better than, the OEM batteries. I have them for 4 different cameras and can attest to their quality, and great price.

http://www.sterlingtek.com/

I would never want the bulk of using AA's anymore myself. Their is good reason that camera manufactures went away from them.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 1:41 am 

buy a panasonic TS2.
the best rugged camera out there right now!!

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 7:51 am 

I got a Canon SX10 IS last year. Great pictures and I especially love the zoom range. As my wife commented, my moose pictures are getting much better. :-?

The one thing that still has me thinking about upgrading to a DSLR is to get more frames per second when shooting in continuous mode. For sports or birds a higher frames per second would still be a big help. One other small benefit of moving up would be an even higher ISO range, although the 1600 ISO setting on the SX10 is good enough for taking pictures indoors at the hockey rink.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 10:34 am 

What I've found these days … all digital cameras are now capable of producing excellent photos, particularly if you have one that allows some modest control over aperture, shutter, ISO, exposure compensation, scene settings, and the like. Deciding factors aren't so much picture quality anymore (especially with photo post-processing software) … but whether the camera meets your budget and does what you want it to do (zoom range, automatic v. manual, ruggedness, protection from elements, battery life, ease of use for you).

But one thing that hasn't been mentioned (and it is a standout in determining picture quality) is the physical size of the sensor. Many companies are able to cut down on cost and size of camera by shrinking down the sensor, and packing individual pixels into a very small area. The Panasonic TS2 for example (mentioned above) has a sensor size of .28 cm squared. The Nikon P6000 (also a point and shoot) has a sensor nearly twice the size at .41 cm squared. The Leica X1, the largest sensor in a compact point and shoot is an "APS-C" sized sensor, similar to some high end SLRs, and is 3.7 cm squared. This is not pixel density … but sensor size. Olympus also has a very interesting large sensor point and shoot (Olympus E-P1).

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

What do you get with a larger sensor: shallow depth of field, less noise at higher ISOs (better in low light), higher dynamic range (stronger light signal and range of tones), wide angle (best for landscape shots), best use of higher quality lens. So it's clearly a balance, but you can't really go wrong these days.

Most cameras do very excellent video too (especially the newer SLR cameras, check this out), but audio is still a significantly limiting factor on these cameras.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 10:56 am 

I have had a small point and shoot sony which was excellent except zoom is too small. Now we have a Pentax k100dsuper earlier model to the pentax M series you mentioned. So far It has better pictures by far. The later models are more weather proof which would be ideal.

Also you don't need to carry extra lenses you can just use a zoom with the range you need. 28 -150 maybe. Also they work in fullautomatic as well as a point and shoot except they don't have the shutter lag so you get your picture immediately. Good for anything that is moving.

ken

PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 11:56 am 

Wolverine wrote:

Guys, give me some suggestions from high-end point-and-shoot cameras.

Thank you!!

Try this site out. Lots of real reviews on many cameras.
http://www.dpreview.com/

Pal

PostPosted: April 24th, 2010, 9:57 pm 

Canon PowerShot G11 or a Panasonic DMC-LX3. Both are high quality pro-sumer point and shoot cameras. They have battery packs but I find the cost difference vs lifespan to be a non-issue with all the economical choices available from 3rd party batteries. ...but it's your choice.

I own the Panasonic DMC-LX2. A great little camera. The DMC-LX3 is essentially a rebranded Leica D-Lux 4 since Panasonic makes the camera for Leica.

The Canon and the Panasonic have similar performance characteristics but the LX3 is almost a pocket camera, while the G11 is a bit bulkier.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2010, 9:34 am 

Wolverine wrote:
I picked from SLRs Pentax K-x. That seems to be exactly what I want, but... SLR has its disadvantages - it is bulky, for zoom I would have to use (and carry) different lenses, weight would also be concern. And also, I like being able to take picture fast, just pull it out from the box and shoot; LSR won't be a fast camera

I agree with the bulk issue and weight.
You don't need extra lens. Buy an 18-200 IS/OS/VR lens and you have 99% of your shots covered with one lens.
Batteries: These new batteries although proprietary last a long time.
I'm not sure about your comment about being able to take a picture fast and pulling it out of the box and shooting.
My Nikon D70S although ancient by camera standards, is essentially instant on and I can take multiple shots without waiting. There is no shutter lag.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.