View topic - What do you do with your pics?

It is currently August 19th, 2019, 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 10:04 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

From Wolverine's thread on what camera to buy:
Quote:
I do about 3000 photos per trip, plus some videos.

This made me wonder what people do with their pictures and why they take pictures.

On a typical dayhike I take around 150 pics. Here's my MO

• Delete a few right out of the camera while on the trail.
  • At home download using Adobe Photo Downloader, which renames them as they download.
  • Copy them all into a subfolder within the original folder.
  • Run through them 2 or 3 times deciding which ones I like best.
  • Run through the subfolder (named Best) and delete at least 3/4.
  • Of the remaining 20-40 pics most get tweaked in Photoshop. Some get heavy treatment and are saved as PSD files so they can be re-edited later.
  • Open thumbnail creation software (Express Thumbnail Creator) which creates a thumbnail page and resizes the pics according to my criteria.
  • Using CuteFTP software upload the folder containing the thumbnails and re-sized pics to my personal webspace.
  • Update the page with all of the links to each batch of pics in TextPad and upload that.
  • Synchronize my photos folder using Always Synch software onto my 500gbyte external hard drive.
  • Post links to pics on the forums and send them in an email to my parents and siblings.
I rarely print my pics but I look at them over and over again on the computer. I keep all of the unused pics but don't ask me why. I take pictures because I love looking at them later and with modern gear it's so easy to get good quality pics at little cost.
I hope I don't lose them because when I'm too old to hike and trip I plan on looking at them relentlessly.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 10:28 am 

My MO is quite similar: no limit on how many pics taken out there, upload once back home, discard obvious duds immediately, move worthwhile stuff into a subfolder (called "selected") and edit there (using an editor that came with my olde Pentax), and create a subfolder that holds all selected images, but compressed and resized for posting on the web and for emailing.

If I have "a message to tell", I will create a web page with text and include pics from "compressed".

Last not least, when writing my Xmas letter in December, I flip through the year's folders and select not only images but also what I want to talk about.... :wink:

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 4:52 pm 

To show others what I see and makes it easier to tell the story of a trip.
On trips to document and prove different species and plants and locations. There are many that the experts don't know they are there.
And it is one of the few ways to show evidence in protection of our special areas.
And to sell a few of the good shots. Sold a few still building up more shots, gone in a few shows.
And just recently got accepted into the International
"The Atmosphere Exposed" show
at the Boyden Gallery at ST. Marys College in Maryland.
I only enter contests/galleries competions where you retain the rights to your pictures.
I have also given images to a few groups for websites or causes.
And I also donate some of the good prints for Fund raisers.
So it is a good hobby that works well with Canoeing.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 11:27 am 

With a DSLR I shoot in RAW exclusively and then convert to JPEG at the highest resolution possible as required.
I back up RAW files onto a separate CD and JPEGs too. Then I create a DVD for a slide show with Photodex Producer and we watch it on a TV.

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken