View topic - Photographic Opportunities April 24 to 30

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 7:47 pm 

Well I planned a week long trip for week above (QEWPP)because of the full moon but several new sci things have come into play.
The ash cloud from the volcano in Iceland should be hitting the west coast by next Thursday (according to predicitons) which means we could be in for some fantastice Sunrises, sunsets and moon rises (full moon April 27)

Because of the abnormal warm weather this should be the full spring moon where many species young appear with the insects.
The whipoorwill a species at risk now hatches it's young during this period. So if you are in your special area keep track of what is out there. We have so few tools left to protect these areas and you will need evidence.

There has also been a lot more nights of Northern lights,
with more expected with the extra sun activity.

So have your cameras ready.
Jeff
(PS if any one wants to venture into the park with me conact me)

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 11:14 am 

Jeff, I'm looking forward to seeing your pix. I haven't had any serious time to spend out there yet... with an early spring possible this year, the earliest spring-blooming wildflowers may appear in April.

This photo by Bob and Diana McElroy taken near the east boundary of Algonquin, shows serviceberry blooms, also known as saskatoons and juneberries, possibly being forced into early bloom by the full sun's warmth on a rocky area.

http://www.mcelroy.ca/bushlog/20060503b.shtml

Walking through leafless woods with the sun's warmth and blue skies filling the landscape with the freshness of spring has to be a high point at this time of year.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2010, 3:54 pm 

Speaking of photographic opportunities, or more precisely, photographic opportunities lost, I was out last Sunday morning looking for some good shots. Didn't find anything special, but as I drive along the back roads, I always keep my eyes open to the side of the road and up into the trees looking for birds, usually hawks. I see them quite frequently when I am out. Didn't see a thing. Later that evening I am out again for a different reason on a back road when sure enough, I see a flash of brown to the left of the road. I stop and there is this big beautiful Barred Owl perfectly posed on a tree branch and of course, I didn't have my camera :doh: . I guess there is a lesson there to always have your camera handy, but it seems to happen to me a lot. Now I am wondering how territorial Barred Owls are. From what I have read so far, they seem to stick around the same area, so I am hoping if I head back to the same place some evening, I might see it again.