View topic - Photo contest discussion...themes, etc

It is currently August 24th, 2019, 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 1:46 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

wotrock wrote:
Lots of great pics---better than most I've seen on calendars and such.

Do you think there are enough pictures still on MYCCR members' hard drives or out there in the natural world, yet to be recorded by digital technology, to warrant running another contest in the very near future?

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 3:17 pm 

Just an idea... How about current pics?
Instead of everyone running to get their best picture from years past, let's try one with a limited timeline.
Or themes maybe...? Funniest, weird looking (without photoshop), what is this?, etc...

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 8:16 pm 

Neil,

Yes, I definitely think there's enough out there on the hard drives, as you put it---a 'pent up supply' you might say. I think, for now at least, not limiting the time frame will result in a better selection of pix.

Are there any plans by CCR of using the pix in a calendar as was suggested in a slightly different context some time ago?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 8:40 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

wotrock wrote:
Are there any plans by CCR of using the pix in a calendar as was suggested in a slightly different context some time ago?

No, these photo-of-the-month contests are just for fun, and to provide an opportunity for folks to share photos they might not otherwise.

Barbara

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 6:45 am 

Canoeheadted wrote:
Just an idea... How about current pics?
Instead of everyone running to get their best picture from years past, let's try one with a limited timeline.
Or themes maybe...? Funniest, weird looking (without photoshop), what is this?, etc...

I don't see the 'timeline' thing at all. What difference does it make when a pic was taken? A beautiful image is a beautiful image. Which is what I, and I expect many others, want to see in these 'contests'. I LOVE photographs - all kinds of them - and I just want to see them. That's all.

I no longer use a Nikon, (or Kodachrome...) but:

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 7:07 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

One possibility is that instead of going through the pics one already has a contest could be run that requires you to go get a new image based on some sort of criterium. Kind of like an assignment.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 7:13 am 

Well, speaking for myself, I know I wouldn't enter. My camera only ever comes out when I'm paddling - It hangs on my tripping belt with my knife & bear spray, and never comes out of its case in town. Your proposal might work well for any 'real' photographers out there (and I know there are some on here), but it doesn't work for plain ol' 'snapshot' folks like me. Just my 2-cents. :)

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 12:53 pm 

I'm with Sk8r and Wotrock. I think that part of keeping it fun is keeping it simple, which I think means keeping it pretty open.

A timeline would be really tough. Let's face it, most folks have more time to daydream about canoe trips than they have to actually go on canoe trips.

A pretty broad theme *might* be workable. Something as broad as "rivers" or "lakes" or "waterfalls" (maybe too narrow) or "paddles" or "canoes" or "kids" or "put ins" or "portages" or "campsites" or "fireplaces" (maybe too narrow) or "fires" or ...

While I know that no one has volunteered to put together a calendar, would anyone be interested in using the photo contest pictures to put together a calendar in support of the Canadian Canoe Museum or some other canoeing related foundation? Maybe even to support Uncle Phil's work in Wabikimi? Most importantly would the photo contributors be willing to have their work used in a calendar?

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 1:10 pm 

I think there's been a bit of misunderstanding and miscommunication.

I'm going to split off some posts, and create a new thread, to better address some issues and thoughts, and leave this thread to its original topic.

Barbara

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 1:27 pm 

I'm going to try and explain myself better.

There was never meant to be "rules" or "timelines", etc. in these Photo Contests.

What was proposed was this:

1.) Separate from the Photo of the Month contest would be a photo contest that would have a longer submission period.

2.) the separate contest would be announced at the beginning of the traditional summer paddling season.

3.) the themes would be more refined, more specific than the standard "sunsets", "sunrises", or "wildlife" type of themes.

4.) this way, folks heading out on their trips could keep those types of themes in mind as they go about their usual tripping / photo taking routine.

For example, one of the proposed themes could have been "macros". Perhaps not a category of photography that the majority of folks already have in their library or indeed their repertoire. But, if people knew ahead of time that there would be a contest with that as a theme, then they would have been aware of it well ahead of time.

5.) there never was any thought to impose a time-line or limit.

6.) It was agreed that no connection to any calendars was to be made to these Photo of the Month Contests or any other photo contests here on CCR. These were meant to be fun, a way to share, and nothing more.

Any "calendar" project(s) would have to be independant of these contests, and would require a whole lot of work, involving copyright releases, etc, etc, etc.

Please, let's not mix up discussion of the Photo Contests with any discussion of calendars. If someone wants to start up a calendar project for whatever cause, they would be welcome to start a new discussion, of course.

Thanks, folks.

Barbara

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 2:11 pm 

Sk8r wrote
Quote:
ing - It hangs on my tripping belt with my knife & bear spray, and never comes out of its case in town. Your proposal might work well for any 'real' photographers out there (and I know there are some on here

You really have underestimated your artistic eye there.....
Your shot from the last contest was very good and it says alot. :clap:
and from a paddlers perspective it your shot puts you right there with the current.
How bout a kids one, run for the summer...
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho