View topic - Which HD Video Camera?

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which HD Video Camera?
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2010, 6:09 pm 

Hey guys,

I have been shooting film on my old Sony Handycam for about 6 years, and it's getting time to upgrade. I just wanted to know what types of video cameras you used on trips, specifically HD cameras.

Features to consider

Lighting - This is the big one. I have had problems in the past with my camera's ability to deal with very bright and sometimes underlit environments. I'm not so worried about low light situations, mostly with the bright ones. Maybe it's just a feature or technique I've overlooked.

Picture quality - Anyone who has seen Dan Flath's videos on youtube will have an idea of the video quality I am seeking. I want a camera that will provide clear, sharp video, hence why I am looking at HD.

Battery Life - I don't want to have to pack ten extra batteries for a six day trip.

I figure I will post on a few camera oriented forums as well, but since I will mostly be shooting in the outdoors, any experience you've had with HD cameras will give me someplace to start.

Thanks!

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2010, 11:20 pm 

I have been using the kodak Vx1
http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/e ... .145117100.
It is water resistant and I have gotten rained on many times with it and it has worked great. The image quality is surprisingly good for such a small camera but the sound quality is pretty poor. It is a very convenient camera and great to have on hand for the spontaneous shot.
I am looking at making a major upgrade and starting to look at making my own documentaries. the camera I am looking at is the Sony HXR-MC50U
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HXRMC50U/
it is very new model and it appears to have everything I want in a pretty small package.
I was wondering what other people might think about this upgrade as well.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 7:31 am 

Quote:
it appears to have everything I want in a pretty small package.

Except water resistance? :o

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 10:11 am 

Watersong wrote:
Except water resistance? :o

Your right. I was hopping that a pelican case, an umbrella and an extended warranty can cover that.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 2:29 pm 

Water resistance isn't a big factor to me, because I'm going to buy waterproof housing. Why buy an expensive camera if you are just going to trash it/not use it? I don't want to have to choose between filming what I love or ruining my camera.

$100 waterproof housing will be a cheap long-term investment if i can get 5 good years of great video.