View topic - Pelican Cases

It is currently August 21st, 2019, 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pelican Cases
PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 7:39 pm 

Any suggestions on a good size to get for a Pelican case for DSLR equipment?

I know that one obvious answer is to take my gear with me and go lay things out, but it never hurts to get ask for input from the more experienced folks. I think I'm roughly in the 1500 size range.

Mike M. had also suggested getting one with modular foam instead of the pull out bits. I checked Adventure Guide in Waterloo and they were all the pull out foam. Any suggestions where to look in the Kitchener-Waterloo area for Pelican cases with the modular foam inserts?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Pelican Cases
PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 10:17 pm 

You should look at Nanuk cases as well - they are as good as Pelican but Made in Canada and a bit cheaper than Pelican.

You can order different foam inserts from Henry's - do you have one there?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 7:54 am 

I use a Pelican 1450 case. In it I can fit a professional DSLR, a 70-200 f4; 16-35 f4; 20mm f1.8; a few filters, batteries and CF cards. This tightly packed configuration is only possible using the dividers rather than the foam. I sometimes carry a very small pelican for additional batteries and a few odds & ends. If I’m going to mess around with flash & maybe a macro I’ve got a separate smaller case for that stuff, but I don’t always bring it along.

Again, the core gear fits in a 1450 case, and that’s typically all I need. I used to own the 1500 case as well, but sold it as I found that I was usually taking the slightly tighter 1450, which also fit more nicely under my canoe seat. If you’re bringing a pile of lenses you may want the 1500 case, but the 1450 works great for me, and I can do pretty much everything I want to do with two zoom lenses and a wide angle, fast aperture prime.

Henry’s Camera can special order the 1450 or 1500 with the dividers rather than the foam. It is a bit more money, but an absolute no-brainer. I can’t imagine using the foam insert as there is no versatility to it whatsoever. Adventure Guide can likely get this case for you as well. It won’t take too long to order in.

Pelican also lists a 1454 Case , which is actually a 1450 case with dividers instead of foam. I’d recommend taking your gear to the shop, take out the foamy and lay your stuff in the case to see how it fits.

One consideration is the height of your DSLR body. What camera are you using?

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 9:19 am 

Nothing against pelican cases but I have adapted because I also like to hike.
I use a 60L barrel because my camera backpack fits inside.
Yes it means an extra carry but everything I need is in the bag.
It also give me a quicker ready to shoot time with my big lens on.
I just have to pop the top (as quietly as I can and I already have the camera set for surprise wild life shots.
The barrel also gives me a good work surface that does not have me on the ground at camp.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 1:47 pm 

canoeguitar wrote:
...Pelican also lists a 1454 Case , which is actually a 1450 case with dividers instead of foam. I’d recommend taking your gear to the shop, take out the foamy and lay your stuff in the case to see how it fits.

One consideration is the height of your DSLR body. What camera are you using?

Thanks Mike. I ended up with the Nikon D500. Currently the 80-400mm and the 18-140. When mounted, the 80-400mm is about as tall as the camera.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 1:53 pm 

jedi jeffi wrote:
Nothing against pelican cases but I have adapted because I also like to hike.
I use a 60L barrel because my camera backpack fits inside.
Yes it means an extra carry but everything I need is in the bag.
It also give me a quicker ready to shoot time with my big lens on.
I just have to pop the top (as quietly as I can and I already have the camera set for surprise wild life shots.
The barrel also gives me a good work surface that does not have me on the ground at camp.
Jeff

Up until now I've kept everything in my day pack and used larger ziplocs for waterproofing. That system has worked quite well over many years. I did manage to kill 1 camera, but that was from keeping it out in the rain, not from leaking when put away. Considering the trip we have booked for the Keele River, I'm thinking it's time to step up the water proofing for the new (to me) camera gear.

That said, I'd also be interested in recommendations for a camera backpack. At the moment I'm still using my old day pack when I need something to carry the gear, but I'd like something better there both for travel (ie: 'tossing' it in the truck for the drive) and for carry the lenses that aren't currently on the camera when actively using it.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 11:41 am 

I have a Lowpro.
Padded against the back.
Chest and waist strap (great for when hiking rough terrain.
a weather pancho that covers the bag and also serves as a ground cover is switching stuff.
Can easily strap trip-pod, uni-pod to the side and can carabiner a water bottle to the side also.
On day hikes where I limit the amount of "stuff" I take I can also pack my emergency 6 x 8 nylon tarp and my small throw rope incase I am in rough slippery terrain, (if I use it I can carabiner it to the side.

Things to look for are a secure zipper system so your camera stuff does not fall out (twice for me once with damage; I am much more careful now)
They can be pricey, better built now. I bought mine in 05
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 4:04 pm 

I have too many camera backpacks. And Pelican Cases in three sizes. the 1450 is too huge for me to consider bringing on a canoe trip.. The 1400 fits the D6 and two lenses and auxilliary stuff like ND filters, headlamp, cleaning kit remote..
I like my Caden triangular pad for hiking.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 8:20 am 

I found a used Pelican case so that part is taken care of.

On the camera backpack side, it looks like Lowepro has some good options including a waterproof/IPX7 rated one, and a first look at the used market looks promising.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 8:50 am 

Make sure you test your Pelican case to ensure it actually is watertight. I bought one a few years ago and the clip fasteners were too tight resulting in the case being warped. I didn't check it before use and it leaked when I needed it. Submerge it without your gear in it for about 15 min and then check to see if there's water in it. They replaced the Pelican but didn't compensate me for the damage to contents.

I've switched to a waterproof zippered duffel bag to store my backpack style carrying system, that covers all situations I use my gear in very well.

Splake wrote:
I found a used Pelican case so that part is taken care of.

On the camera backpack side, it looks like Lowepro has some good options including a waterproof/IPX7 rated one, and a first look at the used market looks promising.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 9:53 am 

I had the o-ring go on my pelican case. Lost a camera. Replaced the o-ring and the case works fine now. I know put a lubricant on the o-ring every year to try and keep it from drying out.

rab

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 12:51 pm 

That's good advice to make sure I test it. The case is coming from a reliable source so I'm confident that it's in excellent condition but it's always worth testing the seal.