View topic - Hi! New here! I'm shopping for a canoe in the spring

It is currently December 2nd, 2020, 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 6th, 2020, 10:24 am 

Hi! Recently, like probably alot of people, this lockdown and travel ban made us change our traveling/vacation/outdoors plans, and I'm slowly starting to look for a small/medium canoe for myself, and girlfriend would probably get a Kayak on her side (past experiences showed us we better be in separate boats ;) ) I've canoed rivers and lakes since I'm a kid (nothing super extreme tho) but I never soloed one!

To me canoes were always those long big things you needed to be 2 to steer around, but I recently saw a video on YouTube and those guys were going camping in each their little canoes and I was amazed! I won't mention them, but they both were sporting Swift Pack canoes and after some research, I decided I was interested in something maybe similar, probably used and certainly cheaper! I would like a versatile canoe that I can paddle solo and put our camping gear in it if we go canoe Camping or can carry one of my little nefews around for a little ride, a day trip or something similar.

I live on the South shore of Montreal, minutes away from the St-lawrence seaway, 20 mins from the borders and the Adirondacks (eventually), I have family in Quebec City and Trois-Rivières, so plenty of opportunities to canoe for a day or even a weekend.

I'm looking for advices on a good canoe that could fulfill my needs!

Thanks alot!

PostPosted: November 6th, 2020, 10:43 am 

I'm sure that you will get plenty of recommendations for solo boats on this forum. Most of my paddling is whitewater, so I'll leave that to the experts.

However, my advice is that if you are a tandem paddler transitioning to solo, then getting some instruction will make things much more enjoyable. A weekend course would be a good investment. Knowing to do "paddle both sides of the boat" while staying on your on-side will make you much more efficient.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2020, 1:05 pm 

Snowy_Night wrote:
Hi! Recently, like probably alot of people, this lockdown and travel ban made us change our traveling/vacation/outdoors plans, and I'm slowly starting to look for a small/medium canoe for myself, and girlfriend would probably get a Kayak on her side (past experiences showed us we better be in separate boats ;) ) I've canoed rivers and lakes since I'm a kid (nothing super extreme tho) but I never soloed one!

To me canoes were always those long big things you needed to be 2 to steer around, but I recently saw a video on YouTube and those guys were going camping in each their little canoes and I was amazed! I won't mention them, but they both were sporting Swift Pack canoes and after some research, I decided I was interested in something maybe similar, probably used and certainly cheaper! I would like a versatile canoe that I can paddle solo and put our camping gear in it if we go canoe Camping or can carry one of my little nefews around for a little ride, a day trip or something similar.

I live on the South shore of Montreal, minutes away from the St-lawrence seaway, 20 mins from the borders and the Adirondacks (eventually), I have family in Quebec City and Trois-Rivières, so plenty of opportunities to canoe for a day or even a weekend.

I'm looking for advices on a good canoe that could fulfill my needs!

Thanks alot!

Hi Snowy - I'm probably just down the road from you (Huntingdon). The unfortunate reality for us is that to test paddle you are either going to Ottawa (Trailhead), Kingston (Frontenac Outfitters), or Quebec City (Legaré). And I firmly recommend doing that. Alternatively, see if you can rent the model you want from an outfitter for your next trip. My wife and I did both and we are very glad we did - the models that were at the top of my list ended up being inappropriate for us, even though opinions and reviews stated otherwise.

For my solo needs, I ended up building a Bob Special - just finished it a month ago:

PostPosted: November 6th, 2020, 9:31 pm 

Two guys paddling swift pak boats is robinet and linker haha. i saw those videos, and i'm shopping for a solo canoe now too. So many choices, but used likely won't be one of them, I think you need a personal connection to find one used these days.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2020, 12:36 am 

Informative for me also.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2020, 8:12 am 

thanks for the answers guys!

@Peter K. I will probably take some sort of course, that would be pretty good, I'm a little rusty! I did more kayak lately than canoe!

@scratchypants That canoe is a work of art! I dont have the skills or the place to build something like this! Congrats!

I will probably visit Légaré and trailhead anyway, I've spent 30 years of my life in Québec City, never been there! So I might try the river at the same time.

@jbishop2112 yup, those 2! those canoes look awesome, but I could go to Bora Bora with that money!

PostPosted: November 7th, 2020, 2:57 pm 

Those canoes will take you places way nicer than Bora Bora.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2020, 3:51 pm 

Mollycollie wrote:
Those canoes will take you places way nicer than Bora Bora.

The only thing better would be taking those canoes to Bora Bora.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2020, 8:10 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

An alternative for pack canoes is https://www.hornbeckboats.com . They have been making them for a long time, they are closer to you, and cheaper than Swift.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2020, 8:21 am 

@MartinG Thanks alot! didnt knew them until now! Seems like a great alternative! Hopefully, the world will eventually recover and we will eventually be able to cross the border!