View topic - Ray Mears Bushcraft on OLN

It is currently November 27th, 2020, 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 10:32 am 

This 10-part series is on OLN tonight at 8pm.

I saw an episode last week where he visited a canoe builder on a First Nations near Algonquin Park and they built a birchbark canoe together by hand in about a week. It was very interesting.

Tonight's episode is supposed to be a canoe river trip. OLN repeats shows quite often if you miss them.

Ray Mears was also on OLN last night on a Honduras jungle trek with actor Ewan McGregor. OLN calls him the UK's Survivorman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 11:38 am 

I'm looking forward to this series. Kudos to Stroud for showing the networks that there's a market for it.

Folks should also watch Long Way Round, unless you really love motorcycles 'cause what they do to theirs might make you cry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 11:51 am 

Quote:
Folks should also watch Long Way Round

It's pretty good but really only the Mongolia/Road of Bones part is worth watching (over and over) reminds me of getting to some of my more obscure put-ins!

I only caught part of the Honduras thing, kept thinking....could I run that drop, hmmmmm, sure I could but it might be hard to find a decent canoe down there.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 12:55 pm 

I enjoyed Long Way Round as well although I kept thinking why stop in New York? Why not continue down through Central & South America ...... & then across to Africa....?

Reminded me a bit of Rush drummer Neil Peart's book the Ghost Rider where he motorcycles Quebec to Alaska and then down the west coast to Central America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2006, 2:08 pm 

JohnM wrote:
I enjoyed Long Way Round as well although I kept thinking why stop in New York? Why not continue down through Central & South America ...... & then across to Africa....?

They're married. :P

I really like the reactions they get from their consultants.

You want to go where? WHY? You know that's the place they sent people to disappear. People go in, they don't come out. Three days? You couldn't do that in three weeks. This is a line on a map, there is no 'road'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 9:08 am 

I really liked the show last night.

Chopping the paddle was really neat, and demonstrating that it isn't as easy as it looks too!

Wow does he pack heavy! It's television. Floating down a river isn't esker climbing between lakes, true enough. Any gear you're willing to carry is valid gear to me! I did get a chuckle out of the ziploc lined leather bags though.

All in all I think they did a great job of capturing the essence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 10:02 am 

Well worth driving out to where there's cable TV to watch... they picked a very ordinary and unspectacular river to film the trip and still got the feel of being out there.

Umm, that "whitefish" they caught on the last day was the only weak bit... it wasn't gutted or scaled roasting on the stick over the fire. It may also been some kind of large minnow rather than a whitefish which may have been the reason why they weren't filmed actually eating it...

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 10:25 am 

I missed the first 5 min, what was the river they paddled?

On that one I am with Flyrod: the ziploc lined leather bags after the speech on being traditional. :o

Carving the paddle was cool. Overall was a nice cut through the winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 11:50 am 

It was the missinaibi.

Looked like the upper to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 11:50 am 

Saw the show last nite too. Wondered what river that was...it looked Algonquin-ish.

I too question the supposed "whitefish". It looked like a chub or something similar.

The paddle making was way-cool. Though not easy, it's a nice bit to know making a paddle is do-able with basic tools. Cedar was also no-brainer choice since I'm pretty sure it would've been a lot more difficult to do one with other species. The splitting tip using wedges was impressive as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 11:55 am 

Oh, and the fish they called a whitefish was actually a fall fish...we caught quite a few on the lower miss this past summer. Actually, with the weather being so hot and dry, they were pretty much belly up everywhere...gave the water an interesting flavour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 2:39 pm 

Herring! At least that's my bet. Pull 'em out by the dozen at the bottom of any fast water in Algonquin. That size and bigger! Some people eat them.

The thing about the leather bags that got me was, oh God am I quoting a nemesis, P O S I N G. Whatever, that's just my little chuckle. If you like it and it enhances your experience and you're willing to carry it, who am I to say? I'll just use the ziploc all by its lonesome. I'd be curious to know if that's for the camera.

One of the key things that really touched me was 'best practices'. You have a task, you use your tools, you put your tools away, not down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 7:01 pm 

I found the program to be very enjoyable.

Since this was a BBC production I presume it was made to romanticise the canoe and wilderness in one of the former colonies for the British people at home, and Mears took a bit of poetic license when it came to presenting some of the historical facts.

I found some of his references to be inaccurate. Yes the Missinabi was a well travelled route between Lake Superior and James Bay, mostly by natives. He made several references to this being a well travelled route by the Voyageurs. This was not the case. The Missinabi was used mostly by natives to go to James Bay to trade with other tribes and when the HBC arrived they also went down to trade with the HBC, and return to their homes. It also saw very limited use by some Coureurs de Bois during the French era who went into the areas to trade. It was not used by the Voyageurs who plied the routes from Montreal to Grand Portage and later Fort William for the North West Company in their 36 foot Montreal canoes. On several occasions he displayed pictures of Montreal canoes paddled by the Voyageurs and stated they plied the Missinabi, which is of course not correct.

All in all I very much enjoyed the program and look forward to the ones he has coming later.

cheers and have a great day.

moe

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2006, 12:37 pm 

I enjoyed the show, too, but still, there was something a bit odd about two Brits on a Canadian river. It would have been great if Ray could have had Les on as a "speical guest", the way they sometimes do with sitcoms during ratings sweeps.
The first episode was respectfully done, I thought. Mears did not break into hyperbole about native culture, even though he ample opportunity to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2006, 7:26 pm 

there is another showing on Sunday at 5pm, hope it is a repeat since I missed the show earlier in the week