View topic - Decisions decisions

It is currently December 11th, 2019, 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Decisions decisions
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 8:07 am 

My company has a rewards program where we collect points and then redeem them for "prizes" My problem is nothing is really that great or I really do not need the item. However I want to get something or the points will be lost.
This year I was thinking of either the Nikon 6.1 MP Digital/SLR Camera (thats all I know) or the Old Town Discovery 158 Canoe. I have a point and shoot digital camera already and an film Minolta SLR I am not really a photo nut, and I have a Evergreen rx prospector.
What I am trying to figure out is which I would be more happy with as I really do not know much about either any help would be appreciated.
thanks all

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 8:49 am 

Why don't you consider getting something that someone else can buy from you for a favourable price and then use the $$ to buy yourself something you really want?

You've made some happy with a good deal and your happy 'cause you have something you really want.

Last edited by lyndak on September 21st, 2007, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 9:27 am 

Well I'm no expert on cameras or canoes..I happen to own both as well.

On cameras - I have the Nikon D70 - it's 6 mp and is an SLR. If its a D70 that you have an option to buy - well they retail for about $1000 - and about 3 years ago the same camera was retailling for $2300.

My point: cameras really depreciate in value.

Anyway, you mention you have a point and shoot. If it is an SLR - it is not point and shoot - it has a lense just like a 35 mm camera which you can adjust. So more details are needed to confirm what exact camera you are looking at. SLR's are much better than point and shoots and should not be compared.

Old towns...we need Haslam or some other canoe expert to tell us if that is a canoe to opt for. If it's ABS (royalex) which I assume it is..and your Evergreen is as well (I don't know) then really why have 2 the same?

But one kevlar and one royalex for example would be good to have.

Finally, check out the classifieds and see what they sell for - I think you could sell the camera as brand new never been used around christmas time - but don't expect to get retail for it.

Good luck
Di

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 10:01 am 

Di's point about depreciation of a digi camera is well-taken, especially since you are not a "photo nut" and thus it will not get much use while the technology is still new.

One can never have enough canoes, that's an opinion that I could agree with.

What happens when you want to introduce friends to canoeing - do you have that second boat handy?

The combination of light (kevlar) with a second boat (ABS or polyethylene, what the discovery probably is made of) is ideal, so you could trade one of the boats if you wanted to....

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 10:43 am 

I have an Old Town Discovery 158. It's made of plastic---polyethylene, I believe, not royalex. It's a good canoe for beating around rivers & creeks in S. Ont, such as the Nasty Nith. Really slides over rocks better than a royalex. Not much of a WW boat because it has very little rocker.
JeromeS said he already has a rx prospector. I think he means Royalex, in which case it's a much better ww canoe than the OT.
Also, he said he has a digital point and shoot as well as a film SLR. In that case I don't think a digital camera would be a great buy, unless he want to go for one with a high powered zoom. I have a Canon S3 with a 12X zoom. It's a point and shoot but, for me, a much beter camera to take canoeing thn my 'old' 3X zoom digital. [/b]

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 11:04 am 

That canoe wouldn't be something I'd want to use or even provide storage space for... while I haven't tried it, according to this reviewer, it's flat-bottomed, making it a poor performer for most purposes, and that, eliminates it right from the start.

Most people will review their canoes with pride since they want to defend their choices, but a negative review is likely to be more objective and unbiased.

Quote:
It's a tank. Heavy, flat bottomed, and virtually indestructable but definately not a graceful boat. It's slow on flat water and doesn't lean well (because of flat bottom) in WW. Some folks report "oil canning" problems in the middle of the hull. It's a fine beginner boat but, if you find out you really like the sport, you'll probably regret not buy a better boat.

There are more reviews here, and of course, some of them will be favorable, after all, these are canoes that people have paid good money for, and actually been on canoe trips with, through thick and thin.

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... ml?prod=30

No offense Wotrock... sorry, that's only my opinion (I read your post after I wrote mine)... I just hate flat-bottomed canoes, unless they're used for fishing, and that's when I use mine...

:wink:

So I'd take the camera... I have no plans for buying a digicam because of the planned obsolescence the industry builds into them, but, hey, if it were free, I'd take it. And I could sell a camera at Christmas much more easily than a canoe, since the market for digicams is huge, while the market for canoes, especially during the off-season, is relatively small.

(Edited a little to help prevent the possibility of an interpretation of a personal attack by the newly-empowered moderators, who are doing a fine job and who am I to make their lives more difficult by posting an ambiguous message that may or may not be taken as a personal attack on something as important as canoe choice.)

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 11:59 am 

I remember the $1000 was last year's price on the camera which btw, I happen to own and think it is a very good camera.

However, camera sales guy did tell me the camera people bring out new cameras twice a year (spring and fall) in advance of their biggest selling seasons (summer vacation travel and christmas)

So, yeah, the canoe sounds not a great choice unless you fish .

But expect a new camera model introduction (if it already hasn't happened) which might make the D70 you are looking at worth even less.

Anyway you cut the cookie, don't take either expecting big profit.

My vote is still for the camera and I would keep it - it's a much better camera than your point and shoot - (based on what you have told me) - I'm really happy with it.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 12:30 pm 

between the two I am leaning towards the cameras as I would have to carry the canoe over any portage and at 85 lbs for a short canoe that seems a lot as my 16 foot evergreen is only 65 and if I was to go with my family I would be carrying both and the barrel and a pack, get my drift? I think I would use the camera more. If I change the mounts on my lenses can I use my zoom and others on a digital?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 12:50 pm 

JeromeS wrote:
If I change the mounts on my lenses can I use my zoom and others on a digital?

I think you are asking can you interchange the D70 body with other lenses from your 35 mm .

Or can you add other lenses to the D70?

Either way, the answer is "maybe" :wink:

I believe Nikon 35 mm lenses can be used with Nikon SLR's - but the best bet is to phone Nikon and ask them.

I would doubt (but you need to verify) if a Minolta lense for example from a 35 mm could be put on a Nikon body or vice versa.

Another option is to offer to trade the SLR camera you acquire for something else you want - maybe canoe gear.

There are classifieds here on CCR - and many camera buffs. And christmas is coming!

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 1:29 pm 

Don't dismiss the Disco! The reviewer was right, it's slow, oilcans and is a beast to carry, but it's a whole lot of fun too. Mine is 16'9", comes in around 90 pounds and has given me a lot of fun. It takes a hell of a pounding...sure, it doesn't fly like a swallow in white water...it doesn't have too...it bounces and slides like silly putty in a padded room. It's my work canoe....I don't respect it's handling characteristics, but I do respect it....it's enables me to keep going many times when the going would have been very hard on just about any other type of canoe, including royalex.

I vote for the Disco!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 1:36 pm 

RHaslam wrote:

I vote for the Disco!

yah but you own 9 canoes :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 1:38 pm 

er....actually it's 12 now.......but i still vote for the disco!

P.s.....I'll buy the disco from you for 450 bucks...if it's unblemished!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 1:56 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
er....actually it's 12 now.......but i still vote for the disco!

P.s.....I'll buy the disco from you for 450 bucks...if it's unblemished!

My mistake - 12. You breed them now, I forgot.

Never mind, I'm seeing an opportunity here...need to check my own points plan. There's gold in them there hills and it's probably criminal to take advantage of boys who can't get enough toys...but who cares! 8)

Or, well the outboard idea is always good. Maybe it could double for a kennel for one of my dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 7:24 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
Don't dismiss the Disco! The reviewer was right, it's slow, oilcans and is a beast to carry, but it's a whole lot of fun too. Mine is 16'9", comes in around 90 pounds and has given me a lot of fun. ...
I vote for the Disco!

Actually, the Old Town website lists the larger boat as 85lbs and the shorter one at 80 - for whatever it's worth. This could mean that it's not such a major pig after all.

By the way, LittleRed's opinion of the boat is as follows:

Quote:
The OT Disco 158 is good for a "disposable" Arctic solo when one cannot afford to fly it back. Its practically bombproof though its a pig when it comes to weight.

I would take a SLR anytime. I have a P and S digital and an Minolta SRT 101 SLR from the 60s that has nine (!) lenses. No comparison but cant canoe with the SLR... so I am available for receipt :wink: